Dec 20, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
“First two, three days were miserable,” he said, as per the Pens’ Twitter feed. “Headaches. [But] since the incident, there has been no memory loss.”
Orpik, who suffered a concussion after Thornton slew-footed him to the ice before punching him in the head, said he has passed baseline tests and absorbed some contact in practice.
“Got through that and feel good today,” he said. “Going from there.”
The 33-year-old also told reporters that — while he hasn’t watched video of the incident and has no desire to — he did speak with Thornton following the attack:
Orpik said he spoke to Thornton night of the incident and next day. Said Thornton was “really apologetic” and regretful #Pens
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) December 20, 2013
Orpik said Thornton contacted him and was pretty apologetic. Orpik described him as a pretty good friend.
— Seth Rorabaugh (@emptynetters) December 20, 2013
There does not appear to be any timetable for Orpik’s return to action though, judging by the fact he’s taking some contact in practice, he shouldn’t be far away. Pittsburgh next players on Saturday against Calgary, then begins a four-game road swing on Monday in Ottawa, followed by games in Carolina (Friday, Dec. 27), Columbus (Sunday, Dec. 29) and New Jersey (Tuesday, Dec. 31).
As for Thornton, he is appealing his 15-game suspension, of which he’s already served six games.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)