Dec 20, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
“First two, three days were miserable,” he said, as per the Pens’ Twitter feed. “Headaches. [But] since the incident, there has been no memory loss.”
Orpik, who suffered a concussion after Thornton slew-footed him to the ice before punching him in the head, said he has passed baseline tests and absorbed some contact in practice.
“Got through that and feel good today,” he said. “Going from there.”
The 33-year-old also told reporters that — while he hasn’t watched video of the incident and has no desire to — he did speak with Thornton following the attack:
Orpik said he spoke to Thornton night of the incident and next day. Said Thornton was “really apologetic” and regretful #Pens
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) December 20, 2013
Orpik said Thornton contacted him and was pretty apologetic. Orpik described him as a pretty good friend.
— Seth Rorabaugh (@emptynetters) December 20, 2013
There does not appear to be any timetable for Orpik’s return to action though, judging by the fact he’s taking some contact in practice, he shouldn’t be far away. Pittsburgh next players on Saturday against Calgary, then begins a four-game road swing on Monday in Ottawa, followed by games in Carolina (Friday, Dec. 27), Columbus (Sunday, Dec. 29) and New Jersey (Tuesday, Dec. 31).
As for Thornton, he is appealing his 15-game suspension, of which he’s already served six games.
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 18
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 52
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)