Dec 20, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
“First two, three days were miserable,” he said, as per the Pens’ Twitter feed. “Headaches. [But] since the incident, there has been no memory loss.”
Orpik, who suffered a concussion after Thornton slew-footed him to the ice before punching him in the head, said he has passed baseline tests and absorbed some contact in practice.
“Got through that and feel good today,” he said. “Going from there.”
The 33-year-old also told reporters that — while he hasn’t watched video of the incident and has no desire to — he did speak with Thornton following the attack:
Orpik said he spoke to Thornton night of the incident and next day. Said Thornton was “really apologetic” and regretful #Pens
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) December 20, 2013
Orpik said Thornton contacted him and was pretty apologetic. Orpik described him as a pretty good friend.
— Seth Rorabaugh (@emptynetters) December 20, 2013
There does not appear to be any timetable for Orpik’s return to action though, judging by the fact he’s taking some contact in practice, he shouldn’t be far away. Pittsburgh next players on Saturday against Calgary, then begins a four-game road swing on Monday in Ottawa, followed by games in Carolina (Friday, Dec. 27), Columbus (Sunday, Dec. 29) and New Jersey (Tuesday, Dec. 31).
As for Thornton, he is appealing his 15-game suspension, of which he’s already served six games.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)