Dec 20, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
“First two, three days were miserable,” he said, as per the Pens’ Twitter feed. “Headaches. [But] since the incident, there has been no memory loss.”
Orpik, who suffered a concussion after Thornton slew-footed him to the ice before punching him in the head, said he has passed baseline tests and absorbed some contact in practice.
“Got through that and feel good today,” he said. “Going from there.”
The 33-year-old also told reporters that — while he hasn’t watched video of the incident and has no desire to — he did speak with Thornton following the attack:
Orpik said he spoke to Thornton night of the incident and next day. Said Thornton was “really apologetic” and regretful #Pens
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) December 20, 2013
Orpik said Thornton contacted him and was pretty apologetic. Orpik described him as a pretty good friend.
— Seth Rorabaugh (@emptynetters) December 20, 2013
There does not appear to be any timetable for Orpik’s return to action though, judging by the fact he’s taking some contact in practice, he shouldn’t be far away. Pittsburgh next players on Saturday against Calgary, then begins a four-game road swing on Monday in Ottawa, followed by games in Carolina (Friday, Dec. 27), Columbus (Sunday, Dec. 29) and New Jersey (Tuesday, Dec. 31).
As for Thornton, he is appealing his 15-game suspension, of which he’s already served six games.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)