Dec 16, 2013, 10:12 PM EST
Crosby scored his 19th goal of the season with 6:03 left in regulation time to give Pittsburgh a 2-1 lead over the visiting Maple Leafs, before Sutter’s short-handed empty-net goal gave the Penguins a 3-1 victory, finishing off what was an eventful evening between the two teams.
D’Amigo was leaning forward to chip a puck up the wall with one hand on his stick, when he was planted to the ice by Bortuzzo, who stood up in the neutral zone, delivering a blow to the head in the process.
Bortuzzo was given a minor penalty for an illegal check to the head as a result.
As per the NHL Department of Player Safety, the league will not be pursuing supplemental discipline on Bortuzzo.
“In looking at Bortuzzo/D’Amigo, we see unavoidable head contact on an otherwise full body hit,” stated the Department of Player Safety on Twitter.
Earlier in the night, the Penguins’ defenseman was on the receiving end of a hit from Leafs’ forward Troy Bodie in the corner.
Bortuzzo got up, grabbed Bodie and the two engaged in a fight in the Pittsburgh zone.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)