Dec 16, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
Crosby scored his 19th goal of the season with 6:03 left in regulation time to give Pittsburgh a 2-1 lead over the visiting Maple Leafs, before Sutter’s short-handed empty-net goal gave the Penguins a 3-1 victory, finishing off what was an eventful evening between the two teams.
D’Amigo was leaning forward to chip a puck up the wall with one hand on his stick, when he was planted to the ice by Bortuzzo, who stood up in the neutral zone, delivering a blow to the head in the process.
Bortuzzo was given a minor penalty for an illegal check to the head as a result.
As per the NHL Department of Player Safety, the league will not be pursuing supplemental discipline on Bortuzzo.
“In looking at Bortuzzo/D’Amigo, we see unavoidable head contact on an otherwise full body hit,” stated the Department of Player Safety on Twitter.
Earlier in the night, the Penguins’ defenseman was on the receiving end of a hit from Leafs’ forward Troy Bodie in the corner.
Bortuzzo got up, grabbed Bodie and the two engaged in a fight in the Pittsburgh zone.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)