Dec 12, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
A substantial projected increase in the salary cap for next season could mean greater salaries for some of hockey’s brightest stars.
That’s according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, who joined Liam McHugh of the NBC Sports Network on Wednesday to talk about items of interest from the NHL Board of Governors meetings. It’s believed the salary cap could increase to $71 million for next season – up from where it stands now at $64.3 million.
McKenzie highlighted two players – Chicago Blackhawks’ forwards Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane – who might particularly benefit from the cap going up. According to Capgeek.com, both come with a current cap hit of $6.3 million, and have contracts that are up at the end of the 2014-15 season.
“Well … there’s a lot of agents and a lot of players who are licking their lips and looking at that $71 million cap next year and thinking, ‘Geez, the year after that, it will probably go to $75 (million), and then it will probably go to $80 (million), and then it will probably go to $85 million,'” said McKenize.
“And it won’t be long, maybe in the life of this current CBA, that it’s closer to $100 million than it is now.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)