Dec 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
NHL general managers will look at a salary cap of at least $71 million in 2014-15, TSN’s Darren Dreger reports from Monday’s Board of Governors meetings.
Naturally, keep in mind that Dreger describes this as a projected amount, so there could be a few $100K here and there. Either way, it’s a significant jump from this season’s $64.3 million limit.
To give you a more fun idea of how much of a difference that would make than just spitting out the number $6.7 million, chew on this: a maxed out team could basically afford an extra Nicklas Backstrom with that boost:
(Again, it might not end up being exactly $6.7 million, but it’s a solid estimate and an even better highlight …)
The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle estimates that this would make for a salary cap floor of $54 million. (NHL.com’s Dan Rosen puts it around $52 million.)
In perhaps the least shocking news of Monday, the NHL’s 30 owners also ratified the league’s new 12-year, $5.2 billion Canadian TV deal with Rogers Communications.
That extra money could very well factor into the cap continuing to climb in 2015-16 and beyond, but we’ll need to wait and see.
For more cap (but not specifically Caps) talk, click here.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)