Dec 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
NHL general managers will look at a salary cap of at least $71 million in 2014-15, TSN’s Darren Dreger reports from Monday’s Board of Governors meetings.
Naturally, keep in mind that Dreger describes this as a projected amount, so there could be a few $100K here and there. Either way, it’s a significant jump from this season’s $64.3 million limit.
To give you a more fun idea of how much of a difference that would make than just spitting out the number $6.7 million, chew on this: a maxed out team could basically afford an extra Nicklas Backstrom with that boost:
(Again, it might not end up being exactly $6.7 million, but it’s a solid estimate and an even better highlight …)
The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle estimates that this would make for a salary cap floor of $54 million. (NHL.com’s Dan Rosen puts it around $52 million.)
In perhaps the least shocking news of Monday, the NHL’s 30 owners also ratified the league’s new 12-year, $5.2 billion Canadian TV deal with Rogers Communications.
That extra money could very well factor into the cap continuing to climb in 2015-16 and beyond, but we’ll need to wait and see.
For more cap (but not specifically Caps) talk, click here.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)