Dec 9, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
Orpik, 33, was hurt during an ugly incident against Boston on Saturday when he was jumped by Bruins forward Shawn Thornton. Orpik was thrown to the ice and punched, briefly losing consciousness before getting stretchered off and admitted to local hospital for observation.
The Penguins didn’t release Orpik’s injury, but it’s believed the veteran rearguard has suffered a concussion. Thornton has been suspended indefinitely pending an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
Orpik had seven points in 30 games this season and was averaging over 22 minutes per night. Losing him is big, especially given all the injuries on the Pittsburgh blueline — the Penguins were already without Rob Scuderi (broken ankle) and Paul Martin (fractured tibia), both on IR.
To replace Orpik, the Pens recalled Brian Dumoulin from AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)