Dec 9, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
Orpik, 33, was hurt during an ugly incident against Boston on Saturday when he was jumped by Bruins forward Shawn Thornton. Orpik was thrown to the ice and punched, briefly losing consciousness before getting stretchered off and admitted to local hospital for observation.
The Penguins didn’t release Orpik’s injury, but it’s believed the veteran rearguard has suffered a concussion. Thornton has been suspended indefinitely pending an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
Orpik had seven points in 30 games this season and was averaging over 22 minutes per night. Losing him is big, especially given all the injuries on the Pittsburgh blueline — the Penguins were already without Rob Scuderi (broken ankle) and Paul Martin (fractured tibia), both on IR.
To replace Orpik, the Pens recalled Brian Dumoulin from AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 24
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)