Dec 9, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
Orpik, 33, was hurt during an ugly incident against Boston on Saturday when he was jumped by Bruins forward Shawn Thornton. Orpik was thrown to the ice and punched, briefly losing consciousness before getting stretchered off and admitted to local hospital for observation.
The Penguins didn’t release Orpik’s injury, but it’s believed the veteran rearguard has suffered a concussion. Thornton has been suspended indefinitely pending an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
Orpik had seven points in 30 games this season and was averaging over 22 minutes per night. Losing him is big, especially given all the injuries on the Pittsburgh blueline — the Penguins were already without Rob Scuderi (broken ankle) and Paul Martin (fractured tibia), both on IR.
To replace Orpik, the Pens recalled Brian Dumoulin from AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)