Dec 9, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
Orpik, 33, was hurt during an ugly incident against Boston on Saturday when he was jumped by Bruins forward Shawn Thornton. Orpik was thrown to the ice and punched, briefly losing consciousness before getting stretchered off and admitted to local hospital for observation.
The Penguins didn’t release Orpik’s injury, but it’s believed the veteran rearguard has suffered a concussion. Thornton has been suspended indefinitely pending an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
Orpik had seven points in 30 games this season and was averaging over 22 minutes per night. Losing him is big, especially given all the injuries on the Pittsburgh blueline — the Penguins were already without Rob Scuderi (broken ankle) and Paul Martin (fractured tibia), both on IR.
To replace Orpik, the Pens recalled Brian Dumoulin from AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7