Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
He relayed information of his scheduled hearing to reporters following a 3-2 Bruins come-from-behind win over the Pittsburgh Penguins.
It appears Thornton is facing a lengthy suspension after he pulled Penguins’ defenseman Brooks Orpik to the ice and punched him multiple times, resulting in Orpik being taken off the ice on a stretcher.
The NHL Department of Player Safety announced via Twitter that Thornton will have an in-person hearing, which means his suspension can exceed five games. A date and time for that hearing has not been announced.
“I made a mistake. I can’t say I’m sorry enough times. That’s all I can say right now,” Thornton said afterward, according to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com.
“It was definitely awful. It’s not what you want to see. Its not what anybody wants to see. Ive felt sick all (game).”
Thornton was assessed a match penalty for the incident, which occurred during a scrum in the Pittsburgh zone.
The Penguins announced via Twitter that Orpik was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital and was “alert and conscious.”
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 19
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)