Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
He relayed information of his scheduled hearing to reporters following a 3-2 Bruins come-from-behind win over the Pittsburgh Penguins.
It appears Thornton is facing a lengthy suspension after he pulled Penguins’ defenseman Brooks Orpik to the ice and punched him multiple times, resulting in Orpik being taken off the ice on a stretcher.
The NHL Department of Player Safety announced via Twitter that Thornton will have an in-person hearing, which means his suspension can exceed five games. A date and time for that hearing has not been announced.
“I made a mistake. I can’t say I’m sorry enough times. That’s all I can say right now,” Thornton said afterward, according to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com.
“It was definitely awful. It’s not what you want to see. Its not what anybody wants to see. Ive felt sick all (game).”
Thornton was assessed a match penalty for the incident, which occurred during a scrum in the Pittsburgh zone.
The Penguins announced via Twitter that Orpik was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital and was “alert and conscious.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 12
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)