Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
He relayed information of his scheduled hearing to reporters following a 3-2 Bruins come-from-behind win over the Pittsburgh Penguins.
It appears Thornton is facing a lengthy suspension after he pulled Penguins’ defenseman Brooks Orpik to the ice and punched him multiple times, resulting in Orpik being taken off the ice on a stretcher.
The NHL Department of Player Safety announced via Twitter that Thornton will have an in-person hearing, which means his suspension can exceed five games. A date and time for that hearing has not been announced.
“I made a mistake. I can’t say I’m sorry enough times. That’s all I can say right now,” Thornton said afterward, according to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com.
“It was definitely awful. It’s not what you want to see. Its not what anybody wants to see. Ive felt sick all (game).”
Thornton was assessed a match penalty for the incident, which occurred during a scrum in the Pittsburgh zone.
The Penguins announced via Twitter that Orpik was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital and was “alert and conscious.”
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)