Dec 5, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
After being sidelined for five games with a strained back, Derek MacKenzie has been activated off the injured reserve list by the Columbus Blue Jackets ahead of Friday’s game against the Minnesota Wild.
MacKenzie is a veteran bottom-six center that plays a physical game and excels on the draw. With that in mind, the timing of his return is particularly good as the Wild’s 52.5% faceoff success rate ranks sixth in the league.
Beyond that, there’s the simple fact that the Blue Jackets need all the help they can get right now. Reigning Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky is expected to miss the 4-5 weeks with a groin injury. He hadn’t lived up to expectations this season, but neither has Columbus and until he went down, he was the team’s best hope to turn its season around.
Now they’ll have to at least stay competitive with 30-year-old journeyman Curtis McElhinney between the pipes. At least with MacKenzie back, McElhinney’s job will be a little bit easier.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)