Dec 5, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
After being sidelined for five games with a strained back, Derek MacKenzie has been activated off the injured reserve list by the Columbus Blue Jackets ahead of Friday’s game against the Minnesota Wild.
MacKenzie is a veteran bottom-six center that plays a physical game and excels on the draw. With that in mind, the timing of his return is particularly good as the Wild’s 52.5% faceoff success rate ranks sixth in the league.
Beyond that, there’s the simple fact that the Blue Jackets need all the help they can get right now. Reigning Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky is expected to miss the 4-5 weeks with a groin injury. He hadn’t lived up to expectations this season, but neither has Columbus and until he went down, he was the team’s best hope to turn its season around.
Now they’ll have to at least stay competitive with 30-year-old journeyman Curtis McElhinney between the pipes. At least with MacKenzie back, McElhinney’s job will be a little bit easier.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)