Dec 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
The news is in on Sergei Bobrovsky‘s lower-body injury, and it’s not good.
On Wednesday, Columbus placed its Vezina-winning netminder on injured reserve with a groin ailment, one that will keep him sidelined for 4-5 weeks.
Bobrovsky, 25, is 10-11-2 this season with a 2.72 GAA and .909 save percentage. He sits ninth among all goalies in minutes played and has 23 starts, two back of league-leaders Corey Crawford and Roberto Luongo.
With Bobrovsky shelved, the Jackets will give the majority of work to backup Curtis McElhinney, who has been good in limited duty this year. McElhinney has just a 1-3-1 record in eight appearances, but boasts a solid save percentage (9.25) and GAA (2.34).
As for Columbus’ new backup, Mike McKenna has been recalled from AHL Springfield.
It’ll be curious to see how the Jackets react to the Bobrovsky loss. The team is already without Marian Gaborik and is still waiting for its big free agent signing, Nathan Horton, to recover from offseason surgery and make his Columbus debut.
Between Bobrovsky, Gaborik and Horton, the Blue Jackets have over $17 million in salary on IR.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)