Dec 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
The news is in on Sergei Bobrovsky‘s lower-body injury, and it’s not good.
On Wednesday, Columbus placed its Vezina-winning netminder on injured reserve with a groin ailment, one that will keep him sidelined for 4-5 weeks.
Bobrovsky, 25, is 10-11-2 this season with a 2.72 GAA and .909 save percentage. He sits ninth among all goalies in minutes played and has 23 starts, two back of league-leaders Corey Crawford and Roberto Luongo.
With Bobrovsky shelved, the Jackets will give the majority of work to backup Curtis McElhinney, who has been good in limited duty this year. McElhinney has just a 1-3-1 record in eight appearances, but boasts a solid save percentage (9.25) and GAA (2.34).
As for Columbus’ new backup, Mike McKenna has been recalled from AHL Springfield.
It’ll be curious to see how the Jackets react to the Bobrovsky loss. The team is already without Marian Gaborik and is still waiting for its big free agent signing, Nathan Horton, to recover from offseason surgery and make his Columbus debut.
Between Bobrovsky, Gaborik and Horton, the Blue Jackets have over $17 million in salary on IR.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)