Dec 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
The news is in on Sergei Bobrovsky‘s lower-body injury, and it’s not good.
On Wednesday, Columbus placed its Vezina-winning netminder on injured reserve with a groin ailment, one that will keep him sidelined for 4-5 weeks.
Bobrovsky, 25, is 10-11-2 this season with a 2.72 GAA and .909 save percentage. He sits ninth among all goalies in minutes played and has 23 starts, two back of league-leaders Corey Crawford and Roberto Luongo.
With Bobrovsky shelved, the Jackets will give the majority of work to backup Curtis McElhinney, who has been good in limited duty this year. McElhinney has just a 1-3-1 record in eight appearances, but boasts a solid save percentage (9.25) and GAA (2.34).
As for Columbus’ new backup, Mike McKenna has been recalled from AHL Springfield.
It’ll be curious to see how the Jackets react to the Bobrovsky loss. The team is already without Marian Gaborik and is still waiting for its big free agent signing, Nathan Horton, to recover from offseason surgery and make his Columbus debut.
Between Bobrovsky, Gaborik and Horton, the Blue Jackets have over $17 million in salary on IR.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)