Dec 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
The news is in on Sergei Bobrovsky‘s lower-body injury, and it’s not good.
On Wednesday, Columbus placed its Vezina-winning netminder on injured reserve with a groin ailment, one that will keep him sidelined for 4-5 weeks.
Bobrovsky, 25, is 10-11-2 this season with a 2.72 GAA and .909 save percentage. He sits ninth among all goalies in minutes played and has 23 starts, two back of league-leaders Corey Crawford and Roberto Luongo.
With Bobrovsky shelved, the Jackets will give the majority of work to backup Curtis McElhinney, who has been good in limited duty this year. McElhinney has just a 1-3-1 record in eight appearances, but boasts a solid save percentage (9.25) and GAA (2.34).
As for Columbus’ new backup, Mike McKenna has been recalled from AHL Springfield.
It’ll be curious to see how the Jackets react to the Bobrovsky loss. The team is already without Marian Gaborik and is still waiting for its big free agent signing, Nathan Horton, to recover from offseason surgery and make his Columbus debut.
Between Bobrovsky, Gaborik and Horton, the Blue Jackets have over $17 million in salary on IR.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)