Nov 30, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT
When the New York Rangers host the Vancouver Canucks this afternoon (2 p.m. ET on NHL Network), it’ll mark Canucks coach John Tortorella’s first trip to Madison Square Garden since being fired by the Rangers over the summer.
Since the two teams virtually traded head coaches, things haven’t totally gone as planned for either team. The Rangers are third in the Metropolitan Division with 26 points, but sit just two points ahead of sixth place Philadelphia. The Canucks, meanwhile, are fifth place in the Pacific Division and eight points back of first place Anaheim.
Rangers fans might be able to get a look at the Tortorella they knew as the Canucks have won just two of their last nine games. We know Jannik Hansen got a taste of that already against Ottawa on Thursday.
How will Rangers fans receive Tortorella? Will he be remembered as being the tough coach who took the team to the playoffs in four of his five seasons behind the bench or as the guy who couldn’t get them over the hump in the postseason to win a Stanley Cup? If nothing else, we know New Yorkers will make their thoughts known loudly.
Update: Before the game, Tortorella faced the media and kept things lively.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)