Nov 30, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT
When the New York Rangers host the Vancouver Canucks this afternoon (2 p.m. ET on NHL Network), it’ll mark Canucks coach John Tortorella’s first trip to Madison Square Garden since being fired by the Rangers over the summer.
Since the two teams virtually traded head coaches, things haven’t totally gone as planned for either team. The Rangers are third in the Metropolitan Division with 26 points, but sit just two points ahead of sixth place Philadelphia. The Canucks, meanwhile, are fifth place in the Pacific Division and eight points back of first place Anaheim.
Rangers fans might be able to get a look at the Tortorella they knew as the Canucks have won just two of their last nine games. We know Jannik Hansen got a taste of that already against Ottawa on Thursday.
How will Rangers fans receive Tortorella? Will he be remembered as being the tough coach who took the team to the playoffs in four of his five seasons behind the bench or as the guy who couldn’t get them over the hump in the postseason to win a Stanley Cup? If nothing else, we know New Yorkers will make their thoughts known loudly.
Update: Before the game, Tortorella faced the media and kept things lively.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)