Nov 30, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
When the New York Rangers host the Vancouver Canucks this afternoon (2 p.m. ET on NHL Network), it’ll mark Canucks coach John Tortorella’s first trip to Madison Square Garden since being fired by the Rangers over the summer.
Since the two teams virtually traded head coaches, things haven’t totally gone as planned for either team. The Rangers are third in the Metropolitan Division with 26 points, but sit just two points ahead of sixth place Philadelphia. The Canucks, meanwhile, are fifth place in the Pacific Division and eight points back of first place Anaheim.
Rangers fans might be able to get a look at the Tortorella they knew as the Canucks have won just two of their last nine games. We know Jannik Hansen got a taste of that already against Ottawa on Thursday.
How will Rangers fans receive Tortorella? Will he be remembered as being the tough coach who took the team to the playoffs in four of his five seasons behind the bench or as the guy who couldn’t get them over the hump in the postseason to win a Stanley Cup? If nothing else, we know New Yorkers will make their thoughts known loudly.
Update: Before the game, Tortorella faced the media and kept things lively.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)