Nov 30, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT
When the New York Rangers host the Vancouver Canucks this afternoon (2 p.m. ET on NHL Network), it’ll mark Canucks coach John Tortorella’s first trip to Madison Square Garden since being fired by the Rangers over the summer.
Since the two teams virtually traded head coaches, things haven’t totally gone as planned for either team. The Rangers are third in the Metropolitan Division with 26 points, but sit just two points ahead of sixth place Philadelphia. The Canucks, meanwhile, are fifth place in the Pacific Division and eight points back of first place Anaheim.
Rangers fans might be able to get a look at the Tortorella they knew as the Canucks have won just two of their last nine games. We know Jannik Hansen got a taste of that already against Ottawa on Thursday.
How will Rangers fans receive Tortorella? Will he be remembered as being the tough coach who took the team to the playoffs in four of his five seasons behind the bench or as the guy who couldn’t get them over the hump in the postseason to win a Stanley Cup? If nothing else, we know New Yorkers will make their thoughts known loudly.
Update: Before the game, Tortorella faced the media and kept things lively.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)