Nov 27, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
News and notes from the crease on a very busy Wednesday…
Greiss starts for Phoenix
Little-used backup Thomas Greiss will go for the Coyotes tonight as they take on the Wild in Minnesota.
Greiss has only played once this month — stopping four shots in relief of Mike Smith on Saturday — but has good numbers on the year, posting a 2-1-0 record with a 2.37 GAA and .928 save percentage.
He’ll be taking on Niklas Backstrom, who’ll play his third straight game for the Wild.
Lindback in for Tampa Bay
Another little-used backup will get the nod on Wednesday as Anders Lindback starts for Tampa Bay.
Lindback has only made seven appearances this year and has struggled, going 1-5-0 with a 3.47 GAA and .872 save percentage. Ben Bishop has taken Tampa’s No. 1 job and run with it, all but nullifying head coach Jon Cooper’s early-season assertion that he had “two starting goalies.”
Tampa Bay will host the Flyers tonight, and Ray Emery will be in the Philadelphia goal.
– Carey Price will take on Ryan Miller in the Montreal-Buffalo game, Craig Anderson will take on Braden Holtby in Sens-Caps, Marek Mazanec will face off with Sergei Bobrovsky in the Preds-Jackets game and Jonathan Bernier will go head-to-head with Marc-Andre Fleury in Toronto-Pittsburgh.
– Jaro Halak vs. Semyon Varlamov tonight in Colorado.
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 4
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 19
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 6
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 9
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 18
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 3
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)