Nov 14, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
Backstrom left Wednesday’s contest following a first-period collision with Nazem Kadri. The Toronto forward was given a goalie interference minor on the play, and had phone hearing this morning with the NHL’s department of player safety regarding his actions.
The injury was a tough blow for Backstrom. The 35-year-old ‘tender has lost his No. 1 gig go to Josh Harding and Wednesday night’s start marked the first time he’d played since surrendering five goals on 28 shots in a loss to Chicago on Oct. 28.
According to the Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo, the Wild will be calling up a goalie — presumably either Darcy Kuemper or Johan Gustafsson — from AHL Iowa.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 22
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)