Nov 11, 2013, 9:07 AM EDT
Brendan Shanahan may be busy in Toronto being enshrined in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but his office could have some work to do after the Rangers-Panthers game Sunday night.
Rangers forward Chris Kreider was given a minor penalty for cross-checking Florida’s Scottie Upshall in the final two minutes of the Rangers’ 4-3 win over the Panthers. The problem here is Upshall had no idea a hit was coming.
For the record, Upshall was not hurt on the play although on the video he didn’t look like he was feeling so hot.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post believes the league might come calling because of the hit, but Kreider at least said he was sorry to his teammates for putting them on the penalty kill in the closing minutes of the game.
The Rangers host the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday night. Whether they’ll have Kreider with them we should find out before the day is over.
Update (9:10 a.m. ET): PHT has learned Kreider will not face further action from the league for the hit.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 1
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 42
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 12
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)