Nov 11, 2013, 9:07 AM EDT
Brendan Shanahan may be busy in Toronto being enshrined in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but his office could have some work to do after the Rangers-Panthers game Sunday night.
Rangers forward Chris Kreider was given a minor penalty for cross-checking Florida’s Scottie Upshall in the final two minutes of the Rangers’ 4-3 win over the Panthers. The problem here is Upshall had no idea a hit was coming.
For the record, Upshall was not hurt on the play although on the video he didn’t look like he was feeling so hot.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post believes the league might come calling because of the hit, but Kreider at least said he was sorry to his teammates for putting them on the penalty kill in the closing minutes of the game.
The Rangers host the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday night. Whether they’ll have Kreider with them we should find out before the day is over.
Update (9:10 a.m. ET): PHT has learned Kreider will not face further action from the league for the hit.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)