Nov 11, 2013, 9:07 AM EST
Brendan Shanahan may be busy in Toronto being enshrined in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but his office could have some work to do after the Rangers-Panthers game Sunday night.
Rangers forward Chris Kreider was given a minor penalty for cross-checking Florida’s Scottie Upshall in the final two minutes of the Rangers’ 4-3 win over the Panthers. The problem here is Upshall had no idea a hit was coming.
For the record, Upshall was not hurt on the play although on the video he didn’t look like he was feeling so hot.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post believes the league might come calling because of the hit, but Kreider at least said he was sorry to his teammates for putting them on the penalty kill in the closing minutes of the game.
The Rangers host the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday night. Whether they’ll have Kreider with them we should find out before the day is over.
Update (9:10 a.m. ET): PHT has learned Kreider will not face further action from the league for the hit.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)