Nov 9, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers’ 4-2 win against the Edmonton Oilers wasn’t without some controversy.
At 7:59 of the third period with the Flyers holding a 2-1 lead, Oilers defenseman Anton Belov was issued a match penalty for delivering a blow to the head of Flyers captain Claude Giroux. While Giroux was uninjured on the play, Belov was sent off.
The catch here is it didn’t appear Belov made any contact with Giroux’s head. Check out the video here courtesy of CSN-Philly.
It appears Belov hits Giroux shoulder-to-shoulder and his head only flies back because of the force from the hit. Making matters worse for Edmonton, Giroux scored his first goal of the season a little over three minutes later while the teams were skating 4-on-4.
A match penalty means an automatic one-game suspension, pending league review. You’d have to think the league will wind up rescinding the penalty.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)