Nov 8, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
Talk about good times for Jason Chimera. First he was named the NHL’s third star of the week; now he’s got some financial security after signing a two-year, $4 million contract extension with the Washington Capitals.
From the club’s release:
Chimera, 34, has recorded 11 points (five goals, six assists) and 10 penalty minutes in 16 games this season.
The 6’3”, 216-pound forward has played in 726 career regular-season games with Edmonton, Columbus and Washington, recording 279 points (126 goals, 153 assists) and 716 penalty minutes. In 43 career playoff games, Chimera has tallied 20 points (eight goals, 12 assists), four game-winning goals and 16 penalty minutes.
Chimera’s deal makes him Caps property through 2015-16, with a cap hit of $2 million in each of the next two seasons.
Washington has just one remaining pending unrestricted free agent: 29-year-old forward Mikhail Grabovski.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)