Nov 8, 2013, 9:21 PM EDT
So, it’s been a wild day for the Edmonton Oilers and general manager Craig MacTavish. Now, the question becomes: is he done dealing for the day, or is another move on the way?
According to Sportsnet.ca columnist Mark Spector, the Oilers are believed to be in discussions with the Philadelphia Flyers about forward Wayne Simmonds. Defenseman Luke Schenn was also included in the report as someone who could potentially be on his way to Edmonton.
Interesting the timing of such news. The Oilers are in Philadelphia to play the Flyers on Saturday.
According to TSN’s Ryan Rishaug, another deal does not appear to be imminent.
For what it’s worth, MacTavish told 630 CHED in Edmonton that, “Certainly no moves imminent and hopefully none for quite some time.”
The Oilers sit at the bottom of the Pacific Division, with four wins through 17 games. And on Friday, MacTavish unloaded on a pair of deals.
The first move included a trade with Edmonton’s division and Alberta rival from Calgary.
The Oilers sent defenseman Ladislav Smid and goalie prospect Olivier Roy to Calgary in exchange for forward Roman Horak and goalie prospect Laurent Brossoit.
The Oilers also signed free agent Ilya Bryzgalov, the charismatic goaltender, to a one-year contract.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)