Nov 7, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
Two Saturdays ago, Patrik Elias awoke from his pregame nap with back spasms.
Twelve days later, his situation is yet to improve.
The Devils put Elias on injured reserve Thursday, and Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com reports the veteran Czech will miss “at least” tonight’s game vs. Philly and tomorrow’s game at Toronto with the ailment.
Elias, 37, first tweaked his back prior to a 4-3 win over Boston on Oct. 26. He gutted through the spasms to play once more — a 2-1 win over Tampa on the 29th — but then sat out New Jersey’s last two games, a 1-0 loss to Philly and a 4-0 loss to Minnesota.
(So yeah, the Devils haven’t scored a single goal since Elias left the lineup.)
The back spasms are just the latest in what’s been a tough season for Elias’ health. He missed time earlier this season to a rough bout of food poisoning and, on the year, has only appeared in 10 of New Jersey’s 14 games.
That said, he has been a solid contributor when healthy. Despite the missed time, Elias still sits tied for third in team scoring, with seven points, and was averaging close to 19 minutes per game prior to the back spasms.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)