Nov 1, 2013, 8:01 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators have lost around $110 million since Eugene Melnyk became the team’s owner in 2003. That’s believed to be part of the reason why the Senators have the fifth most cap space in the NHL and seemed to contribute to the loss of long-time captain Daniel Alfredsson.
With that in mind, the Senators’ financial situation has been an ongoing story and it’s a situation they seek to improve. To that end, they have announced the hiring of Paul Beirne to serve as the team’s new executive vice-president of ticketing.
Beirne previously worked for Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment and more specifically with Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC. He was the team’s vice-president of business operations and earned the title of the MLS Executive of the Year. He also aided the Toronto Raptors and Maple Leafs.
Senators president Cyril Leeder reported that season ticket sales are up to 12,100 this season from about 11,000 in 2012-13, according to the Ottawa Citizen.
That being said, the team’s attendance remains an area where the Senators have room for improvement.
— Erin Nicks (@erinnicks) November 1, 2013
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)