Oct 16, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Ottawa owner Eugene Melnyk conducted a revealing interview with TSN 1200 on Wednesday, explaining that, despite the club’s rocky finances, he will put the Sens in buyer mode at the trade deadline.
“If I need to add a piece, I will,” Melynk explained, also revealing the Sens have lost $110 million since he took ownership in 2003.
Ottawa’s finances have been a major storyline throughout the summer and into this season. An internal player salary budget (projected to be just over $50 million) was believed to be one of the driving forces behind Daniel Alfredsson‘s stalled negotiations and eventual departure to Detroit.
In August, a lengthy Melnyk profile in the Ottawa Citizen speculated the Biovail founder had lost $94 million since taking over in ’03, a number that’s now, as mentioned above, apparently $110 million.
Despite all this, Ottawa could actually find itself in good shape come trade deadline time. They currently boast the NHL’s fifth-lowest payroll and, of the teams that made the playoffs last season, clearly have the most to spend.
In terms of deadline rentals, well, there are a few.
Any of these could be a nice pickup for the offensively-challenged Senators, who finished 27th in the NHL last year with 2.33 goals per game (but, it should be noted, are up slightly this year to 2.50.)
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)