Oct 16, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Ottawa owner Eugene Melnyk conducted a revealing interview with TSN 1200 on Wednesday, explaining that, despite the club’s rocky finances, he will put the Sens in buyer mode at the trade deadline.
“If I need to add a piece, I will,” Melynk explained, also revealing the Sens have lost $110 million since he took ownership in 2003.
Ottawa’s finances have been a major storyline throughout the summer and into this season. An internal player salary budget (projected to be just over $50 million) was believed to be one of the driving forces behind Daniel Alfredsson‘s stalled negotiations and eventual departure to Detroit.
In August, a lengthy Melnyk profile in the Ottawa Citizen speculated the Biovail founder had lost $94 million since taking over in ’03, a number that’s now, as mentioned above, apparently $110 million.
Despite all this, Ottawa could actually find itself in good shape come trade deadline time. They currently boast the NHL’s fifth-lowest payroll and, of the teams that made the playoffs last season, clearly have the most to spend.
In terms of deadline rentals, well, there are a few.
Any of these could be a nice pickup for the offensively-challenged Senators, who finished 27th in the NHL last year with 2.33 goals per game (but, it should be noted, are up slightly this year to 2.50.)
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)