Nov 1, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Gaborik, 31, is a pending unrestricted free agent. So it’s fair to say general manager Jarmo Kekalainen will want to know where the two sides stand prior to the March 5 trade deadline.
At this point in time, Kekalainen doesn’t sound 100-percent convinced that Gaborik can be what the club wants him to be, which is the “driving force of the team.”
“I think he’s done a lot of good things,” Kekalainen said, per The Columbus Dispatch. “And I think he could do more.”
Kekalainen added: “He’s at the point in his career where he could take the next step in that area. He’s proven he can score points, score goals. I want to believe that even a 30-year-old or a 35-year-old player can get better, and that’s one area that I want to see more from him.”
With 10 points in 10 games, Gaborik is the Jackets’ leading scorer; however, it’s worth noting that his average ice time is just 17:07, which isn’t exactly a “driving force” amount.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 87
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 38
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 72
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7