Apr 3, 2013, 2:39 PM EST
A stunner of a deal coming out of Ohio today — the Blue Jackets have acquired New York Rangers sniper Marian Gaborik.
The deal was pending as Gaborik held no-trade clause, which he waived.
The move is an absolute blockbuster for rookie GM Jarmo Kekalainen, who has only been on the job in Columbus since mid-February.
That said, New York’s return is plentiful. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports forwards Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett and defenseman John Moore (plus a sixth-round pick in 2013) are on their way to the Big Apple.
To Columbus: Marian Gaborik, Steven Delisle, Blake Partlett
To New York Rangers: Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, John Moore, ’14 sixth-round pick.
Brassard was Columbus’ first-round pick in 2006, Moore the club’s first-rounder in 2009 and Dorsett is one of the team’s alternate captains.
A three-time 40-goal scorer (including 41 last year), Gaborik will provide instant offense to a Columbus team that only has one 10-goal scorer this year in Vinny Prospal.
That said, the BJ’s will have to pay.
Gaborik has two years remaining on his five-year, $37.5 million deal and carries an annual cap hit of $7.5 million.
He’s been in a slump this season, scoring just 9G-10A-10PTS in 35 games, but those numbers still make him Columbus’ third-leading scorer behind Prospal (21 points and Mark Letestu (20).
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 12
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 52
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 100
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)