Apr 3, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
A stunner of a deal coming out of Ohio today — the Blue Jackets have acquired New York Rangers sniper Marian Gaborik.
The deal was pending as Gaborik held no-trade clause, which he waived.
The move is an absolute blockbuster for rookie GM Jarmo Kekalainen, who has only been on the job in Columbus since mid-February.
That said, New York’s return is plentiful. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports forwards Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett and defenseman John Moore (plus a sixth-round pick in 2013) are on their way to the Big Apple.
To Columbus: Marian Gaborik, Steven Delisle, Blake Partlett
To New York Rangers: Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, John Moore, ’14 sixth-round pick.
Brassard was Columbus’ first-round pick in 2006, Moore the club’s first-rounder in 2009 and Dorsett is one of the team’s alternate captains.
A three-time 40-goal scorer (including 41 last year), Gaborik will provide instant offense to a Columbus team that only has one 10-goal scorer this year in Vinny Prospal.
That said, the BJ’s will have to pay.
Gaborik has two years remaining on his five-year, $37.5 million deal and carries an annual cap hit of $7.5 million.
He’s been in a slump this season, scoring just 9G-10A-10PTS in 35 games, but those numbers still make him Columbus’ third-leading scorer behind Prospal (21 points and Mark Letestu (20).
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)