Apr 3, 2013, 2:39 PM EST
A stunner of a deal coming out of Ohio today — the Blue Jackets have acquired New York Rangers sniper Marian Gaborik.
The deal was pending as Gaborik held no-trade clause, which he waived.
The move is an absolute blockbuster for rookie GM Jarmo Kekalainen, who has only been on the job in Columbus since mid-February.
That said, New York’s return is plentiful. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports forwards Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett and defenseman John Moore (plus a sixth-round pick in 2013) are on their way to the Big Apple.
To Columbus: Marian Gaborik, Steven Delisle, Blake Partlett
To New York Rangers: Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, John Moore, ’14 sixth-round pick.
Brassard was Columbus’ first-round pick in 2006, Moore the club’s first-rounder in 2009 and Dorsett is one of the team’s alternate captains.
A three-time 40-goal scorer (including 41 last year), Gaborik will provide instant offense to a Columbus team that only has one 10-goal scorer this year in Vinny Prospal.
That said, the BJ’s will have to pay.
Gaborik has two years remaining on his five-year, $37.5 million deal and carries an annual cap hit of $7.5 million.
He’s been in a slump this season, scoring just 9G-10A-10PTS in 35 games, but those numbers still make him Columbus’ third-leading scorer behind Prospal (21 points and Mark Letestu (20).
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11