Apr 3, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
A stunner of a deal coming out of Ohio today — the Blue Jackets have acquired New York Rangers sniper Marian Gaborik.
The deal was pending as Gaborik held no-trade clause, which he waived.
The move is an absolute blockbuster for rookie GM Jarmo Kekalainen, who has only been on the job in Columbus since mid-February.
That said, New York’s return is plentiful. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports forwards Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett and defenseman John Moore (plus a sixth-round pick in 2013) are on their way to the Big Apple.
To Columbus: Marian Gaborik, Steven Delisle, Blake Partlett
To New York Rangers: Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, John Moore, ’14 sixth-round pick.
Brassard was Columbus’ first-round pick in 2006, Moore the club’s first-rounder in 2009 and Dorsett is one of the team’s alternate captains.
A three-time 40-goal scorer (including 41 last year), Gaborik will provide instant offense to a Columbus team that only has one 10-goal scorer this year in Vinny Prospal.
That said, the BJ’s will have to pay.
Gaborik has two years remaining on his five-year, $37.5 million deal and carries an annual cap hit of $7.5 million.
He’s been in a slump this season, scoring just 9G-10A-10PTS in 35 games, but those numbers still make him Columbus’ third-leading scorer behind Prospal (21 points and Mark Letestu (20).
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 0
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 34
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 4
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 46
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 54
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)