Oct 29, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are likely to get a big boost tonight as center Sam Gagner is expected to be available for their match against the Toronto Maple Leafs, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie. This follows a recent report that Gagner is “much closer” to returning.
Edmonton could certainly use all the help it can get. The Oilers have limped out of the gate and things got to the point where forward Jordan Eberle declared Saturday and Sunday’s games “must-wins.” They proceeded to lose both of those contests.
With a 3-8-2 record, they are dead last in the Western Conference and already eight games out of a playoff spot. If they continue this descent for much longer then the hole they’re Oilers digging for themselves might start to look too deep to get out of.
It’s not clear if the Oilers would consider easing Gagner back into the lineup after missing their first 13 games of the season, but either way, they will eventually need to make a decision regarding Mark Arcobello.
The 25-year-old forward has been one of the few pleasant surprises for Edmonton so far this season with 10 assists in 13 games. Arcobello has also won 52.7% of his faceoffs this season.
Gagner is in the first campaign of his three-year, $14.4 million contract. He took a big step forward in 2013 with 14 goals and 38 points in 48 games.
Update 1:21 p.m. ET
Gagner is officially in tonight, as per the Oilers’ Twitter account.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 17
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)