Oct 28, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers haven’t exactly had the greatest injury luck this season, but they might get a key contributor back soon. Sam Gagner‘s getting “much closer” to a return from a broken jaw, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
It’s not clear what the 24-year-old’s precise target date for a comeback might be; McKenzie throws out possibilities ranging from Tuesday’s home game against the Toronto Maple Leafs to sometime later this week.
It’s a good time to ease Gagner back in the lineup. After tomorrow’s game, the Oilers don’t play again until they host the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday. It gets tougher the following week, as they face a four-game road trip through Nov. 10.
Beyond context, the Oilers are at the bottom of the West at 3-8-2 (eight points) so getting their second-line center back could be huge (even if they’d need to debate what to do with surprisingly productive Mark Arcobello).
Vancouver Canucks winger Zack Kassian received a five-game suspension (plus some preseason time) for high-sticking Gagner.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 1
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 2
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)