Oct 28, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
Monday night at the First Niagara Center promises to be one filled with emotion.
Oh yeah, they’ll also have a new full-time captain.
Those are the three major storylines as the Stars take on the Sabres tonight… so let’s begin with Lindy Ruff, as he faces the club he led to 571 wins over the span of 16 seasons.
“I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t thought about it,” Ruff told the Buffalo News over the weekend. “It’s going to be great to walk into the building and say hello to old faces. It really is. I’ve got a lot of old friends there, a lot of good memories. We had a lot of great hockey in there.
“It’ll be a good day. I want to see our team play really well, and it’ll be a good day.”
Ruff did say, however, his primary focus for tonight’s game is getting the Stars to play better on the road. Dallas is just 1-4-0 away from American Airlines this year, with its lone win coming back on Oct. 11 in Winnipeg.
Now, onto Ott.
Earlier this year, the Sabres made waves with the unorthodox announcement they’d be rolling with co-captains this season — Vanek and Ott — with Vanek serving at home and Ott on the road.
With Vanek now on Long Island the full-time duties fall to Ott, something the club made official on Monday. He’ll be the home ice captain for the first time this season tonight.
Finally, we’d be remiss without mentioning the newest Sabre. Moulson was on a line with Cody Hodgson during the morning skate, suggesting they’ll play alongside each other tonight against the Stars.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 1
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 46
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (45)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)