Oct 25, 2013, 1:33 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings head coach Darryl Sutter changed his team’s lines after the offense went stagnant. Those alterations seemed to open everything up, as his Kings won a wild Thursday contest against the Phoenix Coyotes 7-4.
Anze Kopitar (one goal, two assists) and Dwight King (first career hat trick) helped L.A. build a 4-0 lead, but Phoenix didn’t roll over, tying things up 4-4 during a wild 13-minute span from the middle of the second to the early part of the third.
The Kings’ line shuffles kept paying off all night, however, as Mike Richards scored his first goal of the season – and game winner – less than two minutes after Shane Doan tied things up 4-4, while Matt Frattin generated a tip-in to make it 6-4. King capped it off with his hat trick goal on an empty-net to make it 7-4.
So, to summarize: the Kings built a 4-0 lead, saw it evaporate to a 4-4 tie before winning 7-4.
Yup, that’s a weird night. If Sutter muttered to himself “Can I please get some offense?” then this was a classic case of “be careful what you wish for.”
Then again, maybe he’s just onto something.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 27
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)