Oct 24, 2013, 9:23 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings aren’t getting enough from their left wings, centers or specifically captain Dustin Brown. It appears head coach Darryl Sutter’s solution is to put it all in a blender, according to NHL.com’s report on the team’s expected lines for Thursday’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes.
For one thing, Brown leaves his usual perch alongside Anze Kopitar and Justin Williams on the first line, giving way to Dwight King. The 28-year-old instead joins Jarret Stoll and Trevor Lewis on the third line.
“It’s going to be an adjustment,” Kopitar said. “I guess it helps — not that it’s a good thing — but he [Brown] was hurt during training camp so I played with [King and Williams] for a full two weeks. We kind of know each other already. It shouldn’t be too much of a difference.”
Mike Richards drew some criticism from Sutter for his work at center so far, but perhaps that’s the advantage to Los Angeles snatching two former pillars of Philadelphia’s pivot position, as the Kings are merely moving Richards to left wing and Jeff Carter back to center. (Matt Frattin evens out that trio.)
We’ll see if that’s a long-term or even full-game thing, as line changes can be rapid and experimental. If these work tonight, it would be impressive, as goals rarely come easily against the stingy Coyotes.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)