Oct 24, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Fair or not, many will argue that Roberto Luongo is getting the last laugh – or at least the early advantage – over Cory Schneider. That narrative certainly carried through Thursday, as Luongo’s Canucks beat Schneider’s Devils 3-2 via a shootout.
So, yes, certain troublemakers will highlight “Luongo 2, Schneider 0.”
Chances are, the Devils are more concerned with overall team records:
New Jersey: 1-5-4
Three of those four beyond-regulation losses came via shootouts for the Devils. While New Jersey can look at its local rivals the New York Rangers struggling, the Devils aren’t getting dominated, they’re just falling short.
For some, that’s a reason for optimism. The flip side is that others might wonder if this is the best that can be expected of the Devils, while their hated rivals might turn things around once they get their footing.
Either way, they’ll need to wait a season to give Schneider another chance to best Luongo. Bobby Lou stopped 28 of 30 Devils shots while Schneider allowed two goals on 20 Canucks attempts.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 16
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)