Oct 24, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Fair or not, many will argue that Roberto Luongo is getting the last laugh – or at least the early advantage – over Cory Schneider. That narrative certainly carried through Thursday, as Luongo’s Canucks beat Schneider’s Devils 3-2 via a shootout.
So, yes, certain troublemakers will highlight “Luongo 2, Schneider 0.”
Chances are, the Devils are more concerned with overall team records:
New Jersey: 1-5-4
Three of those four beyond-regulation losses came via shootouts for the Devils. While New Jersey can look at its local rivals the New York Rangers struggling, the Devils aren’t getting dominated, they’re just falling short.
For some, that’s a reason for optimism. The flip side is that others might wonder if this is the best that can be expected of the Devils, while their hated rivals might turn things around once they get their footing.
Either way, they’ll need to wait a season to give Schneider another chance to best Luongo. Bobby Lou stopped 28 of 30 Devils shots while Schneider allowed two goals on 20 Canucks attempts.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 72
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)