Oct 24, 2013, 9:55 PM EST
Fair or not, many will argue that Roberto Luongo is getting the last laugh – or at least the early advantage – over Cory Schneider. That narrative certainly carried through Thursday, as Luongo’s Canucks beat Schneider’s Devils 3-2 via a shootout.
So, yes, certain troublemakers will highlight “Luongo 2, Schneider 0.”
Chances are, the Devils are more concerned with overall team records:
New Jersey: 1-5-4
Three of those four beyond-regulation losses came via shootouts for the Devils. While New Jersey can look at its local rivals the New York Rangers struggling, the Devils aren’t getting dominated, they’re just falling short.
For some, that’s a reason for optimism. The flip side is that others might wonder if this is the best that can be expected of the Devils, while their hated rivals might turn things around once they get their footing.
Either way, they’ll need to wait a season to give Schneider another chance to best Luongo. Bobby Lou stopped 28 of 30 Devils shots while Schneider allowed two goals on 20 Canucks attempts.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)