Oct 14, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils suffered a 3-0 loss on Sunday, but they were down by just one goal until Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane scored an empty netter with less than a minute remaining in regulation time.
So for most of the game, the Devils kept things close. Again.
“Again we worked hard. They got the bounce to get the winning goal and we didn’t. We just have to find a way. You have to outplay the guy you’re up against, and that includes me. [Jets goaltender Al Montoya] was good tonight and he just made that one extra save than I did.”
The Devils have been collecting moral victories, but that doesn’t change the fact that they’re now 0-3-3 this season. Captain Bryce Salvador doesn’t want to see his team get discouraged, especially when their three points puts them in the middle of the pack in the Metropolitan Division.
Still, Schneider sees things a bit differently. Clawing your way back into a playoff race in the NHL is very difficult. If they slip too far early on, they might not be able to make up that ground once they finally do find their groove.
The Devils will get a breather before facing the Ottawa Senators on Thursday.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53