Oct 14, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils suffered a 3-0 loss on Sunday, but they were down by just one goal until Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane scored an empty netter with less than a minute remaining in regulation time.
So for most of the game, the Devils kept things close. Again.
“Again we worked hard. They got the bounce to get the winning goal and we didn’t. We just have to find a way. You have to outplay the guy you’re up against, and that includes me. [Jets goaltender Al Montoya] was good tonight and he just made that one extra save than I did.”
The Devils have been collecting moral victories, but that doesn’t change the fact that they’re now 0-3-3 this season. Captain Bryce Salvador doesn’t want to see his team get discouraged, especially when their three points puts them in the middle of the pack in the Metropolitan Division.
Still, Schneider sees things a bit differently. Clawing your way back into a playoff race in the NHL is very difficult. If they slip too far early on, they might not be able to make up that ground once they finally do find their groove.
The Devils will get a breather before facing the Ottawa Senators on Thursday.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)