Oct 14, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils suffered a 3-0 loss on Sunday, but they were down by just one goal until Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane scored an empty netter with less than a minute remaining in regulation time.
So for most of the game, the Devils kept things close. Again.
“Again we worked hard. They got the bounce to get the winning goal and we didn’t. We just have to find a way. You have to outplay the guy you’re up against, and that includes me. [Jets goaltender Al Montoya] was good tonight and he just made that one extra save than I did.”
The Devils have been collecting moral victories, but that doesn’t change the fact that they’re now 0-3-3 this season. Captain Bryce Salvador doesn’t want to see his team get discouraged, especially when their three points puts them in the middle of the pack in the Metropolitan Division.
Still, Schneider sees things a bit differently. Clawing your way back into a playoff race in the NHL is very difficult. If they slip too far early on, they might not be able to make up that ground once they finally do find their groove.
The Devils will get a breather before facing the Ottawa Senators on Thursday.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)