Oct 14, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils suffered a 3-0 loss on Sunday, but they were down by just one goal until Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane scored an empty netter with less than a minute remaining in regulation time.
So for most of the game, the Devils kept things close. Again.
“Again we worked hard. They got the bounce to get the winning goal and we didn’t. We just have to find a way. You have to outplay the guy you’re up against, and that includes me. [Jets goaltender Al Montoya] was good tonight and he just made that one extra save than I did.”
The Devils have been collecting moral victories, but that doesn’t change the fact that they’re now 0-3-3 this season. Captain Bryce Salvador doesn’t want to see his team get discouraged, especially when their three points puts them in the middle of the pack in the Metropolitan Division.
Still, Schneider sees things a bit differently. Clawing your way back into a playoff race in the NHL is very difficult. If they slip too far early on, they might not be able to make up that ground once they finally do find their groove.
The Devils will get a breather before facing the Ottawa Senators on Thursday.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 9
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 20
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 36
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 33
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)