Oct 22, 2013, 9:59 PM EST
Despite firing 36 shots on goal in nine games, Phil Kessel came into Tuesday with just two goals. In a lot of ways, the Toronto Maple Leafs winger was almost as snake-bitten early this season as he was in 2013, but maybe tonight represents his breakthrough.
Kessel, 26, generated a hat trick on three shots to power the Leafs past the Anaheim Ducks 4-2.
Kessel’s first goal came 7:44 into the second period:
Later on in the middle frame, he collected his second, which ended up being the game-winner:
Finally, Kessel netted his third career hat trick about midway through the third:
As that beauty pointed out, Kessel continued his great chemistry with James van Riemsdyk, who assisted on two of his three tallies tonight.
The Leafs have to feel pretty good about how their team – and especially their star – fared after the Buds only generated two shots on goal in the first period of tonight’s eventual win.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 0
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 27
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 49
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)