Oct 21, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT
For Chris Higgins, it was pretty much the way things have been going so far this season…
That huge miss (and clutch save by Curtis McElhinney) Sunday in Columbus was Higgins’ 37th shot of the season. Only nine NHL forwards have more shots than that. And Higgins only has two goals.
Unfortunately for the Canucks, Higgins has company in the lots-of-shots-not-enough-goals category — teammate Daniel Sedin has 38 shots and just two goals; teammate Ryan Kesler has 39 shots and just three goals.
In a related story — and one that suggests there’s more than bad luck to this tale — here’s what Vancouver coach John Tortorella had to say after the 3-1 loss to the Blue Jackets: “Don’t let the shots fool you. I don’t think we played enough in the areas (you have to) to score goals. They’ll let you play on the outside all night long. For most of the minutes, that’s what we did.”
Other notables from around the NHL:
Phil Kessel (2 goals on 36 shots): Not quite as snakebit as he started last season, but almost.
Patrick Sharp (1 goal on 31 shots): Had a season-high six shots Saturday versus Toronto. Didn’t score.
Drew Stafford (1 goal on 30 shots): His shooting percentage was 17.3 when he scored 31 times in 2010-11. It’s 3.3 after 10 games this season.
Jamie Benn (1 goal on 26 shots): Has five assists in his last four games though.
David Perron (1 goal on 26 shots): Used up all his shooting luck in the preseason apparently.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)