Oct 21, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT
For Chris Higgins, it was pretty much the way things have been going so far this season…
That huge miss (and clutch save by Curtis McElhinney) Sunday in Columbus was Higgins’ 37th shot of the season. Only nine NHL forwards have more shots than that. And Higgins only has two goals.
Unfortunately for the Canucks, Higgins has company in the lots-of-shots-not-enough-goals category — teammate Daniel Sedin has 38 shots and just two goals; teammate Ryan Kesler has 39 shots and just three goals.
In a related story — and one that suggests there’s more than bad luck to this tale — here’s what Vancouver coach John Tortorella had to say after the 3-1 loss to the Blue Jackets: “Don’t let the shots fool you. I don’t think we played enough in the areas (you have to) to score goals. They’ll let you play on the outside all night long. For most of the minutes, that’s what we did.”
Other notables from around the NHL:
Phil Kessel (2 goals on 36 shots): Not quite as snakebit as he started last season, but almost.
Patrick Sharp (1 goal on 31 shots): Had a season-high six shots Saturday versus Toronto. Didn’t score.
Drew Stafford (1 goal on 30 shots): His shooting percentage was 17.3 when he scored 31 times in 2010-11. It’s 3.3 after 10 games this season.
Jamie Benn (1 goal on 26 shots): Has five assists in his last four games though.
David Perron (1 goal on 26 shots): Used up all his shooting luck in the preseason apparently.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)