Oct 18, 2013, 4:41 PM EST
There was a welcome sight after Montreal’s practice on Friday as three injured players — George Parros, Alexei Emelin and Douglas Murray — skated as a group, an important step in their eventual returns.
The most welcome sight was probably that of Parros, his first time out on the ice since suffering a scary concussion during Montreal’s season-opening loss to Toronto in a fight with Colton Orr.
“It’s going a lot better,” Coach Michel Therrien said of Parros, as per the Montreal Gazette. “I can’t say exactly if he’s symptom-free, but he’s reached another step in his recovery.”
Emelin, 27, is still recovering from torn knee ligaments in a collision with Boston’s Milan Lucic last April.
The Russian rearguard, who led the team in hits (110) last season, underwent surgery in May, at which time it was reported he’d be facing six months of recovery. Habs GM Marc Bergevin said Emelin would be out until at least December.
Murray, 33, was hurt right near the end of the preseason and is expected to be out until late October/early November.
He’s yet to make his Canadiens debut and is just one of the club’s banged-up blueliners. He, Emelin and Davis Drewiske — out 5-6 months after shoulder surgery — are all currently on the injured list.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 0
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)