Sep 3, 2013, 11:04 AM EST
Gionta, the club’s captain since 2010, is still recovering from a torn biceps and might not be ready for the beginning of the year, according to Bergevin.
The 34-year-old suffered the injury during Montreal’s opening-round playoff loss to Ottawa, the second time in as many years he’s torn his bicep.
Bergevin did say, however, that if Gionta isn’t ready for the beginning of the season, “it won’t be much longer than that.”
As for Emelin, he was lost for the year in early April after tearing knee ligaments in a collision with Boston’s Milan Lucic.
The 27-year-old rearguard, who led the team in hits (110) last season, underwent surgery in May, at which time it was reported he’d be facing six months of recovery.
Bergevin said he does not expect Emelin back until December “at the earliest.”
It’ll be interesting to see how Emelin progresses as the Winter Olympics draw near.
He was named to Russia’s preliminary 35-man roster back in January and is one of the country’s most physical blueliners, so his presence would be vital for the Sochi Games.
Russia was pounded in a 7-2 quarterfinal loss to Canada at the 2010 games in Vancouver. “They came like gorillas coming out of a cage,” Ilya Bryzgalov said after the loss, noting that Canada took the body early and often in the lopsided affair.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)