Sep 3, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
Gionta, the club’s captain since 2010, is still recovering from a torn biceps and might not be ready for the beginning of the year, according to Bergevin.
The 34-year-old suffered the injury during Montreal’s opening-round playoff loss to Ottawa, the second time in as many years he’s torn his bicep.
Bergevin did say, however, that if Gionta isn’t ready for the beginning of the season, “it won’t be much longer than that.”
As for Emelin, he was lost for the year in early April after tearing knee ligaments in a collision with Boston’s Milan Lucic.
The 27-year-old rearguard, who led the team in hits (110) last season, underwent surgery in May, at which time it was reported he’d be facing six months of recovery.
Bergevin said he does not expect Emelin back until December “at the earliest.”
It’ll be interesting to see how Emelin progresses as the Winter Olympics draw near.
He was named to Russia’s preliminary 35-man roster back in January and is one of the country’s most physical blueliners, so his presence would be vital for the Sochi Games.
Russia was pounded in a 7-2 quarterfinal loss to Canada at the 2010 games in Vancouver. “They came like gorillas coming out of a cage,” Ilya Bryzgalov said after the loss, noting that Canada took the body early and often in the lopsided affair.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)