Oct 15, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks will try to snap a two-game losing streak tonight in Philadelphia. And according to defenseman Kevin Bieksa, sticking to new coach John Tortorella’s system will be key to accomplishing that objective.
“Sometimes, you revert back to old habits and we’re chasing a little bit,” Bieksa said, per the Province.
“We want to stay a little bit closer to our net in those critical areas. There are a few goals we’ve let in from the slot that are going through two guys. That shouldn’t happen. We should be real tight in our end and making them shoot from the outside.
“We’re giving up point-blank shots.”
We wrote last month about the differences between Tortorella’s system and his predecessor Alain Vigneault’s. And consistent with what he’s saying now, Bieksa said the Canucks would play “more or less… a zone coverage” in the defensive end, as opposed to the man-on-man pressure they’d been applying previously.
“So it’s being patient and taking care of your responsibilities,” Bieksa said.
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 0
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 7
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 15
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 46
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (46)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)