Sep 20, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
According to Vancouver defenseman Kevin Bieksa, there are “a lot of differences” between the system the Canucks employed for years under head coach Alain Vigneault and the one they’re currently learning under new bench boss John Tortorella.
Per The Province, Bieksa says the Canucks will play “more or less… a zone coverage” in the defensive end now, as opposed to man-on-man pressure. “So it’s being patient and taking care of your responsibilities.”
On offense, Bieksa says, “We’re going to need more pressure on the forecheck. We played fast last year but this is going to be a little more aggressive style.”
In terms of X’s and O’s, the style the Canucks play under Tortorella will be interesting to watch. Because for all the focus there’s been on shot-blocking, that’s just one aspect.
Also remember, the way Tortorella had the Rangers playing was a big reason he was fired, according to general manager Glen Sather, who believed, among other things, that his players were dumping the puck in too much under Tortorella.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 15
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 42
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)