Sep 20, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
According to Vancouver defenseman Kevin Bieksa, there are “a lot of differences” between the system the Canucks employed for years under head coach Alain Vigneault and the one they’re currently learning under new bench boss John Tortorella.
Per The Province, Bieksa says the Canucks will play “more or less… a zone coverage” in the defensive end now, as opposed to man-on-man pressure. “So it’s being patient and taking care of your responsibilities.”
On offense, Bieksa says, “We’re going to need more pressure on the forecheck. We played fast last year but this is going to be a little more aggressive style.”
In terms of X’s and O’s, the style the Canucks play under Tortorella will be interesting to watch. Because for all the focus there’s been on shot-blocking, that’s just one aspect.
Also remember, the way Tortorella had the Rangers playing was a big reason he was fired, according to general manager Glen Sather, who believed, among other things, that his players were dumping the puck in too much under Tortorella.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)