Oct 13, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Although the collision might have been incidental, the initial fear was that Hertl had hit his head for the second straight game.
Fortunately Sharks coach Todd McLellan was able to offer an encouraging update following San Jose’s 3-2 victory over Ottawa.
“He fell into a player,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “Basically, he was going to the net, stumbled and fell into him. He’s a little bit sore, but I think he’ll be fine [today].”
McLellan added that Hertl’s shoulder, not head, was the main area of concern. He also raised the possibility that Hertl might stay off the ice today, but he didn’t seem overly concerned given that the Sharks don’t play again until Tuesday.
San Jose is off to a 5-0-0 start and while Hertl certainly isn’t single-handily response for that, the 19-year-old has been one of the NHL’s most pleasant surprises in the early part of the season.
If you missed the hit, you can see it below:
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)