Oct 13, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Although the collision might have been incidental, the initial fear was that Hertl had hit his head for the second straight game.
Fortunately Sharks coach Todd McLellan was able to offer an encouraging update following San Jose’s 3-2 victory over Ottawa.
“He fell into a player,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “Basically, he was going to the net, stumbled and fell into him. He’s a little bit sore, but I think he’ll be fine [today].”
McLellan added that Hertl’s shoulder, not head, was the main area of concern. He also raised the possibility that Hertl might stay off the ice today, but he didn’t seem overly concerned given that the Sharks don’t play again until Tuesday.
San Jose is off to a 5-0-0 start and while Hertl certainly isn’t single-handily response for that, the 19-year-old has been one of the NHL’s most pleasant surprises in the early part of the season.
If you missed the hit, you can see it below:
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)