Oct 11, 2013, 3:24 PM EST
According to NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan, Edler “does not hit Hertl squarely” and made Hertl’s head the “main point of contact.”
While Shanahan concedes that Hertl is leaning forward prior to the hit, “the position of his head does not materially change” before or during the hit.
“If Edler wants to makes this check, he must take a better angle and route toward Hertl and hit him squarely through the body,” ruled Shanahan.
Hertl was not injured on the play, but Edler has been suspended before (for charging Phoenix goalie Mike Smith) and is considered a repeat offender.
Per the CBA, Edler will forfeit $182,926.83 in salary, with the money going to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 5
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 5
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 33
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 46
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (46)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)