Oct 11, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
According to NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan, Edler “does not hit Hertl squarely” and made Hertl’s head the “main point of contact.”
While Shanahan concedes that Hertl is leaning forward prior to the hit, “the position of his head does not materially change” before or during the hit.
“If Edler wants to makes this check, he must take a better angle and route toward Hertl and hit him squarely through the body,” ruled Shanahan.
Hertl was not injured on the play, but Edler has been suspended before (for charging Phoenix goalie Mike Smith) and is considered a repeat offender.
Per the CBA, Edler will forfeit $182,926.83 in salary, with the money going to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)