Oct 11, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
According to NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan, Edler “does not hit Hertl squarely” and made Hertl’s head the “main point of contact.”
While Shanahan concedes that Hertl is leaning forward prior to the hit, “the position of his head does not materially change” before or during the hit.
“If Edler wants to makes this check, he must take a better angle and route toward Hertl and hit him squarely through the body,” ruled Shanahan.
Hertl was not injured on the play, but Edler has been suspended before (for charging Phoenix goalie Mike Smith) and is considered a repeat offender.
Per the CBA, Edler will forfeit $182,926.83 in salary, with the money going to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)