Oct 11, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
According to NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan, Edler “does not hit Hertl squarely” and made Hertl’s head the “main point of contact.”
While Shanahan concedes that Hertl is leaning forward prior to the hit, “the position of his head does not materially change” before or during the hit.
“If Edler wants to makes this check, he must take a better angle and route toward Hertl and hit him squarely through the body,” ruled Shanahan.
Hertl was not injured on the play, but Edler has been suspended before (for charging Phoenix goalie Mike Smith) and is considered a repeat offender.
Per the CBA, Edler will forfeit $182,926.83 in salary, with the money going to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32