Oct 11, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
It’s a great day for college hockey and its fans as they will have more reasons to tune in on Friday nights throughout the season.
NBC announced they’ve struck a deal with the University of Notre Dame to carry Fighting Irish home games from Compton Family Ice Arena for the next three years.
This season alone will see NBCSN carry 20 games over the air, including 12 from Notre Dame. This season, the Fighting Irish moved into Hockey East which means heated games against classic college hockey stalwarts like Boston College, Boston University, and New Hampshire as well as rising programs in Providence College and UMass-Lowell.
Coverage begins tonight at 8 p.m. ET with Notre Dame hosting coach Andy Murray‘s Western Michigan Broncos.
As for the full slate of games to be aired this season, here’s the schedule (all times Eastern):
- October 11 Western Michigan – Notre Dame 8 p.m.
- October 25 Massachusetts – Maine 8 p.m.
- November 1 Northeastern – Boston College 8 p.m.
- November 8 Minnesota – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- November 15 Merrimack – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- November 22 North Dakota – Boston University 7:30 p.m.
- December 6 Massachusetts – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- December 7 Massachusetts – Notre Dame 6:30 p.m.
- December 13 Colorado College – Wisconsin 7:30 p.m.
- January 10 Alabama Huntsville – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- January 17 Lake Superior State – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- January 18 Penn State – Michigan State 6:30 p.m.
- January 24 Northeastern – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- January 25 Northeastern – Notre Dame 7:00 p.m.
- January 31 Boston University – Massachusetts 7:30 p.m.
- February 1 Wisconsin – Michigan 6:30 p.m.
- February 7 Maine – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- February 8 Maine – Notre Dame 8 p.m.
- February 14 Boston University – New Hampshire 7 p.m.
- February 15 Wisconsin – Ohio State 8 p.m.
- February 21 Boston University – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- March 1 Penn State – Minnesota TBD
Coverage doesn’t stop there as there will be eight games carried via NBC Sports Live Extra as well:
- October 18 Michigan Tech – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- November 9 Minnesota – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- November 16 Merrimack – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- November 29 Alabama Huntsville – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- November 30 Shillelagh Tournament 7:30 p.m.
- January 11 Alabama Huntsville – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- January 18 Lake Superior State – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- February 22 Boston University – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
If you haven’t gotten to know coach Jeff Jackson’s Notre Dame squad before, you can get a crash course in that this season. The Fighting Irish are currently ranked eighth in the country in the USA Hockey/USA Today poll.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)