Oct 11, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
It’s a great day for college hockey and its fans as they will have more reasons to tune in on Friday nights throughout the season.
NBC announced they’ve struck a deal with the University of Notre Dame to carry Fighting Irish home games from Compton Family Ice Arena for the next three years.
This season alone will see NBCSN carry 20 games over the air, including 12 from Notre Dame. This season, the Fighting Irish moved into Hockey East which means heated games against classic college hockey stalwarts like Boston College, Boston University, and New Hampshire as well as rising programs in Providence College and UMass-Lowell.
Coverage begins tonight at 8 p.m. ET with Notre Dame hosting coach Andy Murray‘s Western Michigan Broncos.
As for the full slate of games to be aired this season, here’s the schedule (all times Eastern):
- October 11 Western Michigan – Notre Dame 8 p.m.
- October 25 Massachusetts – Maine 8 p.m.
- November 1 Northeastern – Boston College 8 p.m.
- November 8 Minnesota – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- November 15 Merrimack – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- November 22 North Dakota – Boston University 7:30 p.m.
- December 6 Massachusetts – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- December 7 Massachusetts – Notre Dame 6:30 p.m.
- December 13 Colorado College – Wisconsin 7:30 p.m.
- January 10 Alabama Huntsville – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- January 17 Lake Superior State – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- January 18 Penn State – Michigan State 6:30 p.m.
- January 24 Northeastern – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- January 25 Northeastern – Notre Dame 7:00 p.m.
- January 31 Boston University – Massachusetts 7:30 p.m.
- February 1 Wisconsin – Michigan 6:30 p.m.
- February 7 Maine – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- February 8 Maine – Notre Dame 8 p.m.
- February 14 Boston University – New Hampshire 7 p.m.
- February 15 Wisconsin – Ohio State 8 p.m.
- February 21 Boston University – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- March 1 Penn State – Minnesota TBD
Coverage doesn’t stop there as there will be eight games carried via NBC Sports Live Extra as well:
- October 18 Michigan Tech – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- November 9 Minnesota – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- November 16 Merrimack – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- November 29 Alabama Huntsville – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.
- November 30 Shillelagh Tournament 7:30 p.m.
- January 11 Alabama Huntsville – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- January 18 Lake Superior State – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
- February 22 Boston University – Notre Dame 7 p.m.
If you haven’t gotten to know coach Jeff Jackson’s Notre Dame squad before, you can get a crash course in that this season. The Fighting Irish are currently ranked eighth in the country in the USA Hockey/USA Today poll.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)