Oct 8, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
Defenseman Jake Muzzin got his big break last season, playing in 45 games with the Kings. The 24-year-old has a bright future ahead of him, but Kings coach Darryl Sutter isn’t happy with his recent play.
“He’s struggling a lot,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider.
Although Muzzin has a goal and an assist in three games, Sutter took issue with Muzzin’s role in a turnover to Rick Nash that led to Brad Richards netting the game-winning goal in the New York Rangers’ 3-1 victory on Monday.
“Muzzin [is] going to have to learn not to turn the puck over if he wants to play, period,” Sutter said.
Sutter thinks part of the problem is that Muzzin got hurt during the preseason and that messed with his preparations. In retrospect, Sutter believes that Muzzin would have been better served as a healthy scratch in the season opener so that he would have gotten a bit more time to get into game shape.
At this point though, Sutter isn’t committing to making him a healthy scratch, even if he expects more form the young blueliner.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)