Oct 8, 2013, 7:27 PM EST
Defenseman Jake Muzzin got his big break last season, playing in 45 games with the Kings. The 24-year-old has a bright future ahead of him, but Kings coach Darryl Sutter isn’t happy with his recent play.
“He’s struggling a lot,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider.
Although Muzzin has a goal and an assist in three games, Sutter took issue with Muzzin’s role in a turnover to Rick Nash that led to Brad Richards netting the game-winning goal in the New York Rangers’ 3-1 victory on Monday.
“Muzzin [is] going to have to learn not to turn the puck over if he wants to play, period,” Sutter said.
Sutter thinks part of the problem is that Muzzin got hurt during the preseason and that messed with his preparations. In retrospect, Sutter believes that Muzzin would have been better served as a healthy scratch in the season opener so that he would have gotten a bit more time to get into game shape.
At this point though, Sutter isn’t committing to making him a healthy scratch, even if he expects more form the young blueliner.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 25
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 2
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)