Oct 8, 2013, 7:27 PM EST
Defenseman Jake Muzzin got his big break last season, playing in 45 games with the Kings. The 24-year-old has a bright future ahead of him, but Kings coach Darryl Sutter isn’t happy with his recent play.
“He’s struggling a lot,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider.
Although Muzzin has a goal and an assist in three games, Sutter took issue with Muzzin’s role in a turnover to Rick Nash that led to Brad Richards netting the game-winning goal in the New York Rangers’ 3-1 victory on Monday.
“Muzzin [is] going to have to learn not to turn the puck over if he wants to play, period,” Sutter said.
Sutter thinks part of the problem is that Muzzin got hurt during the preseason and that messed with his preparations. In retrospect, Sutter believes that Muzzin would have been better served as a healthy scratch in the season opener so that he would have gotten a bit more time to get into game shape.
At this point though, Sutter isn’t committing to making him a healthy scratch, even if he expects more form the young blueliner.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)