Oct 8, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
Defenseman Jake Muzzin got his big break last season, playing in 45 games with the Kings. The 24-year-old has a bright future ahead of him, but Kings coach Darryl Sutter isn’t happy with his recent play.
“He’s struggling a lot,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider.
Although Muzzin has a goal and an assist in three games, Sutter took issue with Muzzin’s role in a turnover to Rick Nash that led to Brad Richards netting the game-winning goal in the New York Rangers’ 3-1 victory on Monday.
“Muzzin [is] going to have to learn not to turn the puck over if he wants to play, period,” Sutter said.
Sutter thinks part of the problem is that Muzzin got hurt during the preseason and that messed with his preparations. In retrospect, Sutter believes that Muzzin would have been better served as a healthy scratch in the season opener so that he would have gotten a bit more time to get into game shape.
At this point though, Sutter isn’t committing to making him a healthy scratch, even if he expects more form the young blueliner.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)