Oct 8, 2013, 10:55 AM EST
Justin Williams took his team to the woodshed following a 3-1 home loss to New York on Monday.
“Lousy, dispirited, soft game by us, which is ugly and unacceptable,” Williams told LA Kings Insider. “Especially at home.”
It was an odd night for the Kings all-around. Despite outshooting and outhitting the Rangers, L.A. was sloppy with the puck (17 giveaways to New York’s eight) and the top line of Williams, Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar continued to struggle.
The trio has combined for just one goal and three points through the first three games — the Kings are 1-2-0 — and went scoreless against the Rangers.
Brown is still without a point after missing all of the preseason with a hamstring injury.
Williams said the unit needed to “get dirty” and play more consistently. When it came to the topic of the line’s lack of production, he was very blunt.
“There’s no excuses,” Williams explained. “You can search for them all you want. There’s no excuses. Ourselves as a line, we have to produce. We haven’t done so, and we got outplayed, and we have to take that accountability ourselves.
“Myself – I need to be better. I’m counted on to score goals, and we haven’t scored near as many, nor produced as many, quality scoring chances as we should five-on-five.”
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)