Oct 8, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Justin Williams took his team to the woodshed following a 3-1 home loss to New York on Monday.
“Lousy, dispirited, soft game by us, which is ugly and unacceptable,” Williams told LA Kings Insider. “Especially at home.”
It was an odd night for the Kings all-around. Despite outshooting and outhitting the Rangers, L.A. was sloppy with the puck (17 giveaways to New York’s eight) and the top line of Williams, Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar continued to struggle.
The trio has combined for just one goal and three points through the first three games — the Kings are 1-2-0 — and went scoreless against the Rangers.
Brown is still without a point after missing all of the preseason with a hamstring injury.
Williams said the unit needed to “get dirty” and play more consistently. When it came to the topic of the line’s lack of production, he was very blunt.
“There’s no excuses,” Williams explained. “You can search for them all you want. There’s no excuses. Ourselves as a line, we have to produce. We haven’t done so, and we got outplayed, and we have to take that accountability ourselves.
“Myself – I need to be better. I’m counted on to score goals, and we haven’t scored near as many, nor produced as many, quality scoring chances as we should five-on-five.”
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)