Oct 8, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Justin Williams took his team to the woodshed following a 3-1 home loss to New York on Monday.
“Lousy, dispirited, soft game by us, which is ugly and unacceptable,” Williams told LA Kings Insider. “Especially at home.”
It was an odd night for the Kings all-around. Despite outshooting and outhitting the Rangers, L.A. was sloppy with the puck (17 giveaways to New York’s eight) and the top line of Williams, Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar continued to struggle.
The trio has combined for just one goal and three points through the first three games — the Kings are 1-2-0 — and went scoreless against the Rangers.
Brown is still without a point after missing all of the preseason with a hamstring injury.
Williams said the unit needed to “get dirty” and play more consistently. When it came to the topic of the line’s lack of production, he was very blunt.
“There’s no excuses,” Williams explained. “You can search for them all you want. There’s no excuses. Ourselves as a line, we have to produce. We haven’t done so, and we got outplayed, and we have to take that accountability ourselves.
“Myself – I need to be better. I’m counted on to score goals, and we haven’t scored near as many, nor produced as many, quality scoring chances as we should five-on-five.”
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 18
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 6
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)