Oct 8, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Justin Williams took his team to the woodshed following a 3-1 home loss to New York on Monday.
“Lousy, dispirited, soft game by us, which is ugly and unacceptable,” Williams told LA Kings Insider. “Especially at home.”
It was an odd night for the Kings all-around. Despite outshooting and outhitting the Rangers, L.A. was sloppy with the puck (17 giveaways to New York’s eight) and the top line of Williams, Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar continued to struggle.
The trio has combined for just one goal and three points through the first three games — the Kings are 1-2-0 — and went scoreless against the Rangers.
Brown is still without a point after missing all of the preseason with a hamstring injury.
Williams said the unit needed to “get dirty” and play more consistently. When it came to the topic of the line’s lack of production, he was very blunt.
“There’s no excuses,” Williams explained. “You can search for them all you want. There’s no excuses. Ourselves as a line, we have to produce. We haven’t done so, and we got outplayed, and we have to take that accountability ourselves.
“Myself – I need to be better. I’m counted on to score goals, and we haven’t scored near as many, nor produced as many, quality scoring chances as we should five-on-five.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)