Rumor: Flyers interested in Calgary’s Glencross

Oct 7, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT

Curtis Glencross Getty Images

The Flyers’ 0-3-0 start to the season doesn’t have anyone in Philadelphia feeling good. The biggest problem for them so far is that the offense is nowhere to be found as they’re scoring just one goal per game.

Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News reports there’s talk the team is looking to make a deal to help their goal-free woes and Calgary is on their radar.

One name the Flyers have been kicking around is winger Curtis Glencross, who has been playing on Calgary’s first line. Glencross, 30, netted 26 points in 40 games last season. He has 24- and 26-goal seasons on his resume, he’s consistent, and he’s one of the few players on Calgary’s roster to play a gritty game.

One thing the Flyers have that the Flames can use is defensemen.

Philly has eight blue liners on their current roster and sent Bruno Gervais to AHL Adirondack to make room for newly signed Hal Gill.

Andrej Meszaros‘ name has come up in trade rumors more often than not in the past two months. With a cap hit of $4 million this season, he’s a bit tricky to move in a deal. For what it’s worth, Glencross has a $2.55 million cap hit, something Philly can easily afford.

Related: TSN’s Dreger thinks Flyers coach is on thin ice

1. phillyphanatic77 - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

As much as I don’t think Glencross is the answer to our woes, if they got him in in a deal involving Mez as the centerpiece then I would proclaim Homer a genius. Mez has been god AWFUL. Like, worst player on the club bad. It’s been painful to watch him so far… much like the entire Flyers team.

My biggest complaint is Lavys incessant line-juggling. Let someone develop some chemistry somewhere

2. ibieiniid - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM

::little girl mode:: EEEEEEEEEK!!!

that dude is way underrated and one of my favorite players in the league to watch. I don’t care if this is rumor or not, I hope it happens.

3. ibieiniid - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM

By the way, news is, Lavy’s fired.

• ibieiniid - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM

^^^the thumbs downer feels stupid i bet.

4. sjsharks86 - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM

A genius?! Please tell me you’re joking, you’re GM is the biggest retard in the league

• macgrubie - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM

classy comment, d bag

• psudu - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Says the guy who misused “You’re”…as in You Are…I guess you were looking to use “your”.

• pxland - Oct 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Um…. Nevermind.

5. mcphillthy - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM

The flyers are in big big trouble. It is the same stuff as last season except this season we can’t get the puck through the neutral zone. No effort. No fun. No enthusiasm out there…. Lavy needs to go. And fast

• ibieiniid - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM

i think you’re getting your wish at the 11AM presser.

• mcphillthy - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Wow. I did get my wish! Good stuff! Go flyers!

6. hockey412 - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM

In all honesty, don’t the Flyers have enough players that can put the puck in the back of the net? Don’t get me wrong – I understand that they HAVEN’T been scoring goals…but is that because they don’t have the right personnel, really?

Mez for Glencross sounds like a “trade my bad players for your good ones” scenario, but hell if they can get that done, it couldn’t hurt.

• ibieiniid - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

It’d be nice to move Hartnell down and let Glencross fill his spot though. Hartnell has turned into the guy that doesn’t belong in the top 6. I’m not sure when it happened, but it happened.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches