Oct 5, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Clarke MacArthur is getting ready for his first regular season game against the Toronto Maple Leafs squad he left over the summer. The 28-year-old forward had 62 points in 2011-12, but he fell in the Leafs’ depth charts while working under coach Randy Carlyle.
Now that he’s a member of the Ottawa Senators, he doesn’t plan to talk with his former bench boss.
“I didn’t have a relationship (with him) and not many guys do,” MacArthur told Sportsnet. “It’s one of those things where he runs the show there and everyone knows that and that’s the way it is.
“It’s worked for him in the past, he’s got a (Stanley) Cup from that, but at the same time there’s other ways to do things, too.”
MacArthur explained that he felt Carlyle only talked to him when the coach had criticisms to offer and that got grating.
“You’re old enough to know (you) made a mistake,” MacArthur said. “You don’t need to hear it every five seconds.”
Grabovski also saw his playing time drop under Carlyle and signed with the Washington Capitals over the summer. He’s gotten off to a hot start with them with three goals and five points in two games.
At the same time, not all of Carlyle’s former players feel as negatively towards him. MacArthur’s teammate Bobby Ryan felt like his was a scapegoat at times for Carlyle when he was coaching the Anaheim Ducks, but in retrospect Ryan has softened his view.
“He’s a tough coach,” Ryan said last month. “I do still really owe him quite a bit for becoming the player I am. That isn’t lost on me one bit.”
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 0
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 5
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 14
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 34
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)