Grabovski calls Leafs’ Carlyle an ‘[expletive] idiot’

Jul 4, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT

grabsgetty Getty Images

The Toronto Maple Leafs’ decision to buy out Mikhail Grabovski prompted polarizing reactions from the team’s fan base, but one thing seems pretty clear: the Russian forward won’t miss playing for head coach Randy Carlyle.

He made that point abundantly (and profanely) clear to TSN’s Jonas Siegel on Thursday, calling Carlyle a stupid coach.

“I play in the [expletive] Russian KHL, I make lots of [expletive] points and what’s going to happen? He makes me [expletive] play on the fourth line and he put me in the playoffs on the fourth line and third line again,” Grabovski said. “Yeah, I don’t score goals. I need to work more about that. I know that. But if you feel support from your coach [you'll find success]. I don’t feel any support from this [expletive] idiot.”

So, the 29-year-old clearly won’t miss playing for Carlyle, but it sounds like Toronto is a different story.

“Of course I feel [expletive] sad,” Grabovski said. “I played [expletive] five years here. I’m supposed to feel upset about that. I loved it [here]. Toronto fans are one of the best fans in the world.”

Ultimately, Grabovski believes this turmoil will just add fuel to his fire.

Wherever he ends up, Grabovski’s first game back in Toronto stands as a must-watch.

1. mrpinkca - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I mean, he’s not wrong.

• dueman - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM

He is wrong. You earn your place in the line up, and sad to say, he just didn’t last year. I’m sure that he is upset because he loved playing in Toronto, but calling a coach a f’king idiot, and blaming the coach for his lack of production won’t help him much as a free agent. He’ll land somewhere and he’ll do okay, but the Leafs needed the cap space in order to better the team, and it made perfect sense that his contract was the one to go.

• ray2013 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I actually liked the comments. It’s more real than a script written by some pr hack.

• dueman - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Also on CSKA Moscow he was on a line with Datsyuk and Radulov, of course he put up numbers.

2. icelovinbrotha215 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM

2 articles are better than 1.

3. blackheart78 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM

[expletive] Imagine if [expletive] Grabovski & [expletive] John Tortorella were in the same [expletive] organization. That would be [expletive] great!

4. ray2013 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM

They love him in Alberta, so hopefully he brings some of that anger west with him.

5. thedavesiknowiknow - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Hell hath no fury…..I know who I want on my team.

• isithockeyseasonyet - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Agreed, this rant makes me happy, if nothing else it shows he cares and I respect that

6. sunderlanding - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I’ll miss him, but he was getting paid too much for too little. You can’t wait forever for one player to turn it around, especially with the cap going down, this is a production based business.

7. takingbovadasmoney - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Sign with the Wings…..just for 24/7 and the Winter Classic…

8. cweez2 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Biting critcism indeed.

9. buffalo65 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Somewhere out there Lupal silently agrees.

• sunderlanding - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Maybe so, but you can’t argue with the results. Leafs suck. They hire Carlyle. Leafs are in the top ten.

• kaptaanamerica - Jul 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM

In a regular length season this team will revert to true form and drop out of the playoffs again.they didn’t play any western conference teams and they totally suck against the WEST. This team under Carlyle won’t make the playoffs next season.they will get spanked out of the playoffs.the idiots in Toronto media will all day otherwise, but they won’t make it cuz of blue and white disease.

• koredan - Jul 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM

You absolutely can argue with the results. The Leafs made the playoffs on the back of stellar goaltending, which Carlyle was not responsible for (and which they couldn’t help but screw with for next year), strong special teams, which Carlyle did not coach, and an unsustainable shooting percentage, which over the course of a full season would have regressed to the norm. When a coach fails to realize that it’s not a good thing his team has gone an entire period without a single shot on goal, for example, he is a problem, not a solution.

• sunderlanding - Jul 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

It wasn’t the goaltending so much as the defensive system. Most of the shots Toronto allowed last year were from the perimeter. NHL goalies are going to make that save almost every time. Sure they had bad periods, what team doesn’t, but they were resiliant, and even when they weren’t getting shots they were playing tight defense. Admittedly, they play a defensive system, but that doesn’t mean they can’t sustain it over an entier season. There are teams that play defense first, and some of them are successful.

10. leafs2013 - Jul 4, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Glad the [Explitive] Russian is gone with that contract! Now go sign the home town boy Clarkson with his cap space!!!

11. hcbuffalo - Jul 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM

He is on my fantasy team, he better go somewhere good so he can light it up, hopefully Detroit so he can play Toronto all the time. Blow Leafs Blow.

12. sharkie29 - Jul 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I don’t think with those type of comments, it won’t help him find a new team any easier.

13. blackhawks2010 - Jul 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM

This story is (expletive) ridiculous, just (expletive) horrible. I can’t (expletive) believe I read this (expletive) article :)….

• blackheart78 - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I (expletive) know? Can you (expletive) believe it?

14. modellforprez - Jul 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM

If any Leaf fan or resident of toronto buys any of that Bull shtai i got a few bridges over here for sale

15. redridershoottheireyeout - Jul 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I’d love to see him wander down the QEW and wind up in Buffalo but Darcy is too busy sitting on his hands waiting for some other GM to call him instead of being aggressive like Nill and others! What a sorry SOB.

16. billyhauntswizards - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Frankly his interview makes me like him more. He really does care about his game even if he’s struggled lately.

17. dominiqueusa - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Job opportunity for everyone! Work from comfort of your home, on your computer and you can work with your own working hours. You can work this job as a part time or as a full time job. You can earn from 65$ an hour to 1000$ a day! There is no limitations, it all depends from you and how much you want to earn each day. Go to this site home tab for more detail… ============== CLICK HERE ============

18. kicksave1980 - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Right or wrong, at least he didn’t speak in a constant stream of cliches that we typically get. “I’m gonna miss the uh boys and uh Kess and uh Reimsey and uh as of late and uh 110%”

19. coolhandtuukk - Jul 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Bruins fan here… Thought Grabovski was one of their best players in the playoffs, showed outstanding effort, was a beast in the tough areas and won a lot of pucks for Toronto… Despite taking an (expletive) load of very hard hits seemingly every shift. I can understand why he’d be pissed off playing with the 3rd and 4th lines in Toronto, you don’t take a sports car down a dirt road. You want him to play his game you need to put him with fast, skilled players… That being said he’s probably not worth a 5.5m cap hit, so likely better for both sides to part ways.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches