Oct 4, 2013, 3:36 PM EST
There are plenty of story lines surrounding the Columbus Blue Jackets going into the season, but they can be summed up with one question: Will they finally get back into the playoffs? Since their first game in 2000, the Blue Jackets have only made the playoffs once and never won a postseason game.
So much needs to go right for Columbus to make it in the fierce Metropolitan Division, but two of the biggest wild cards are forwards Boone Jenner and defensemen Ryan Murray. Both highly regarded prospects will make their NHL debuts on Friday against the Calgary Flames, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
If it wasn’t for bad luck, Murray might already have a season of NHL hockey under his belt. He was on track to make the team after being selected with the second overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. However, the lockout forced him to go back to the WHL Everett Silvertips where he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury.
Murray figures to get plenty of playing time in his debut as he’s been paired with James Wisniewski.
“Based on what they were able to do and how they were able to play as a group, I would be foolish to try and experiment with (Jenner) now somewhere else,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said earlier this week.
Jenner was taken in the second round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and took a big step forward last season with 45 goals and 82 points in 56 OHL contests. He’s also a physical force and consequently should make his presence known without the puck.
If those two are able to stick with the team and be significant factors then the Blue Jackets’ chances of making the playoffs will certainly be better. They’ll start that project tonight.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 39
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)