Oct 4, 2013, 3:36 PM EST
There are plenty of story lines surrounding the Columbus Blue Jackets going into the season, but they can be summed up with one question: Will they finally get back into the playoffs? Since their first game in 2000, the Blue Jackets have only made the playoffs once and never won a postseason game.
So much needs to go right for Columbus to make it in the fierce Metropolitan Division, but two of the biggest wild cards are forwards Boone Jenner and defensemen Ryan Murray. Both highly regarded prospects will make their NHL debuts on Friday against the Calgary Flames, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
If it wasn’t for bad luck, Murray might already have a season of NHL hockey under his belt. He was on track to make the team after being selected with the second overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. However, the lockout forced him to go back to the WHL Everett Silvertips where he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury.
Murray figures to get plenty of playing time in his debut as he’s been paired with James Wisniewski.
“Based on what they were able to do and how they were able to play as a group, I would be foolish to try and experiment with (Jenner) now somewhere else,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said earlier this week.
Jenner was taken in the second round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and took a big step forward last season with 45 goals and 82 points in 56 OHL contests. He’s also a physical force and consequently should make his presence known without the puck.
If those two are able to stick with the team and be significant factors then the Blue Jackets’ chances of making the playoffs will certainly be better. They’ll start that project tonight.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 33
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)