Sep 30, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Boone Jenner might not be a household name, but that could change soon.
“Based on what they were able to do and how they were able to play as a group, I would be foolish to try and experiment with (Jenner) now somewhere else,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards told the Columbus Dispatch. “They worked so well together.”
The Jenner-Gaborik-Dubinsky trio was put together early in the preseason and starred throughout. Jenner showed offensive upside, especially in a 5-4 win over Carolina when he chipped in with a goal and an assist.
A former OHL Oshawa selected in the second round (37th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Jenner impressed the Jackets at last year’s training camp before being made one of the team’s final cuts. This year, the Jackets couldn’t ignore the growth in his game and physical presence, as the 6-foot-2, 204-pound Jenner loves to take the body.
It’ll be interesting to see if he can corral his energy and play an effective NHL game. Jenner has been tabbed as a reckless player in the past, most notably while playing for Team Canada’s junior team. The IIHF suspended Jenner earlier this year for a late check on a Swedish defenseman during a pre-World Juniors tourney exhibition game.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 5
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)