Sep 30, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Boone Jenner might not be a household name, but that could change soon.
“Based on what they were able to do and how they were able to play as a group, I would be foolish to try and experiment with (Jenner) now somewhere else,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards told the Columbus Dispatch. “They worked so well together.”
The Jenner-Gaborik-Dubinsky trio was put together early in the preseason and starred throughout. Jenner showed offensive upside, especially in a 5-4 win over Carolina when he chipped in with a goal and an assist.
A former OHL Oshawa selected in the second round (37th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Jenner impressed the Jackets at last year’s training camp before being made one of the team’s final cuts. This year, the Jackets couldn’t ignore the growth in his game and physical presence, as the 6-foot-2, 204-pound Jenner loves to take the body.
It’ll be interesting to see if he can corral his energy and play an effective NHL game. Jenner has been tabbed as a reckless player in the past, most notably while playing for Team Canada’s junior team. The IIHF suspended Jenner earlier this year for a late check on a Swedish defenseman during a pre-World Juniors tourney exhibition game.
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 7
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 11
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 19
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)