Sep 30, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Boone Jenner might not be a household name, but that could change soon.
“Based on what they were able to do and how they were able to play as a group, I would be foolish to try and experiment with (Jenner) now somewhere else,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards told the Columbus Dispatch. “They worked so well together.”
The Jenner-Gaborik-Dubinsky trio was put together early in the preseason and starred throughout. Jenner showed offensive upside, especially in a 5-4 win over Carolina when he chipped in with a goal and an assist.
A former OHL Oshawa selected in the second round (37th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Jenner impressed the Jackets at last year’s training camp before being made one of the team’s final cuts. This year, the Jackets couldn’t ignore the growth in his game and physical presence, as the 6-foot-2, 204-pound Jenner loves to take the body.
It’ll be interesting to see if he can corral his energy and play an effective NHL game. Jenner has been tabbed as a reckless player in the past, most notably while playing for Team Canada’s junior team. The IIHF suspended Jenner earlier this year for a late check on a Swedish defenseman during a pre-World Juniors tourney exhibition game.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 12
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 85
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (86)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)