Sep 30, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Boone Jenner might not be a household name, but that could change soon.
“Based on what they were able to do and how they were able to play as a group, I would be foolish to try and experiment with (Jenner) now somewhere else,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards told the Columbus Dispatch. “They worked so well together.”
The Jenner-Gaborik-Dubinsky trio was put together early in the preseason and starred throughout. Jenner showed offensive upside, especially in a 5-4 win over Carolina when he chipped in with a goal and an assist.
A former OHL Oshawa selected in the second round (37th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Jenner impressed the Jackets at last year’s training camp before being made one of the team’s final cuts. This year, the Jackets couldn’t ignore the growth in his game and physical presence, as the 6-foot-2, 204-pound Jenner loves to take the body.
It’ll be interesting to see if he can corral his energy and play an effective NHL game. Jenner has been tabbed as a reckless player in the past, most notably while playing for Team Canada’s junior team. The IIHF suspended Jenner earlier this year for a late check on a Swedish defenseman during a pre-World Juniors tourney exhibition game.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 4
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 9
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 36
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)