Oct 4, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
The Calgary Flames announced that center Matt Stajan is considered “week-to-week” with a deep leg contusion likely suffered during Thursday’s game against the Washington Capitals. That opens the door for Joe Colborne to make his Flames debut against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday.
Stajan, 29, is entering the last year of a deal that nets him a $3.5 million salary cap hit (yet a cheaper $2.5 million salary in 2013-14).
He played most of 2013 but was injured late last campaign. He also missed 21 games in 2011-12.
Losing the center might not be such a bad thing for Calgary’s rebuilding process, as he might not be a part of the Flames’ long-term plans, anyway. He’d certainly improve his chances if he had a strong campaign, though.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)