Oct 2, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
With just a single NHL game on his resume, it appears defensemen Ryan Stanton will be in Vancouver’s lineup Thursday when the Canucks open their regular season in San Jose.
Stanton was picked off waivers Monday from the Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks, a team with no shortage of depth on the back end. (Hence, his availability.)
Per The Province, the 24-year-old was skating today at Canucks practice with Chris Tanev on Vancouver’s third pairing. Yannick Weber and Andrew Alberts, the latter of whom had a particularly tough preseason, would be healthy scratches if Stanton does indeed play tomorrow.
Of note, Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville expressed some disappointment after Stanton was lost to the Canucks.
“We liked the depth he gave us; he played well for us,” Quenneville said, per the Sun-Times. “It’s good for him to actually get the chance, he’s going to play at this level right off the bat [in Vancouver]. We wish him well. You certainly can always use extra defensemen in your organization and he definitely gave us some good depth.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)