Oct 2, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
With just a single NHL game on his resume, it appears defensemen Ryan Stanton will be in Vancouver’s lineup Thursday when the Canucks open their regular season in San Jose.
Stanton was picked off waivers Monday from the Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks, a team with no shortage of depth on the back end. (Hence, his availability.)
Per The Province, the 24-year-old was skating today at Canucks practice with Chris Tanev on Vancouver’s third pairing. Yannick Weber and Andrew Alberts, the latter of whom had a particularly tough preseason, would be healthy scratches if Stanton does indeed play tomorrow.
Of note, Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville expressed some disappointment after Stanton was lost to the Canucks.
“We liked the depth he gave us; he played well for us,” Quenneville said, per the Sun-Times. “It’s good for him to actually get the chance, he’s going to play at this level right off the bat [in Vancouver]. We wish him well. You certainly can always use extra defensemen in your organization and he definitely gave us some good depth.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)