Oct 2, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
With just a single NHL game on his resume, it appears defensemen Ryan Stanton will be in Vancouver’s lineup Thursday when the Canucks open their regular season in San Jose.
Stanton was picked off waivers Monday from the Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks, a team with no shortage of depth on the back end. (Hence, his availability.)
Per The Province, the 24-year-old was skating today at Canucks practice with Chris Tanev on Vancouver’s third pairing. Yannick Weber and Andrew Alberts, the latter of whom had a particularly tough preseason, would be healthy scratches if Stanton does indeed play tomorrow.
Of note, Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville expressed some disappointment after Stanton was lost to the Canucks.
“We liked the depth he gave us; he played well for us,” Quenneville said, per the Sun-Times. “It’s good for him to actually get the chance, he’s going to play at this level right off the bat [in Vancouver]. We wish him well. You certainly can always use extra defensemen in your organization and he definitely gave us some good depth.”
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink 33
- Quick strike: Lightning steal Game 3 from Habs with last-second goal 17
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 18
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 46
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (67)
- Lundqvist thinks Backstrom’s hit caused Rangers to lose focus before game-winning goal (63)