Sep 30, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Stanton, an undrafted free agent signed by Chicago in 2010, has spent the last few seasons in AHL Rockford, making one appearance for the Blackhawks during the lockout-shortened 2013 campaign before suiting up for the Black Aces during the Stanley Cup run.
Chicago’s decision for the eighth and final defenseman spot for this season reportedly came down to Stanton and Mike Kostka, the latter of whom spent last year with Toronto before signing with the ‘Hawks during the offseason.
Kostka won that position battle, forcing Chicago to put Stanton on waivers.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32