Sep 30, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Stanton, an undrafted free agent signed by Chicago in 2010, has spent the last few seasons in AHL Rockford, making one appearance for the Blackhawks during the lockout-shortened 2013 campaign before suiting up for the Black Aces during the Stanley Cup run.
Chicago’s decision for the eighth and final defenseman spot for this season reportedly came down to Stanton and Mike Kostka, the latter of whom spent last year with Toronto before signing with the ‘Hawks during the offseason.
Kostka won that position battle, forcing Chicago to put Stanton on waivers.
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession 12
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 10
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38