Sep 30, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Stanton, an undrafted free agent signed by Chicago in 2010, has spent the last few seasons in AHL Rockford, making one appearance for the Blackhawks during the lockout-shortened 2013 campaign before suiting up for the Black Aces during the Stanley Cup run.
Chicago’s decision for the eighth and final defenseman spot for this season reportedly came down to Stanton and Mike Kostka, the latter of whom spent last year with Toronto before signing with the ‘Hawks during the offseason.
Kostka won that position battle, forcing Chicago to put Stanton on waivers.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)