Sep 30, 2013, 12:10 PM EST
Stanton, an undrafted free agent signed by Chicago in 2010, has spent the last few seasons in AHL Rockford, making one appearance for the Blackhawks during the lockout-shortened 2013 campaign before suiting up for the Black Aces during the Stanley Cup run.
Chicago’s decision for the eighth and final defenseman spot for this season reportedly came down to Stanton and Mike Kostka, the latter of whom spent last year with Toronto before signing with the ‘Hawks during the offseason.
Kostka won that position battle, forcing Chicago to put Stanton on waivers.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 50
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (50)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)