Sep 30, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Stanton, an undrafted free agent signed by Chicago in 2010, has spent the last few seasons in AHL Rockford, making one appearance for the Blackhawks during the lockout-shortened 2013 campaign before suiting up for the Black Aces during the Stanley Cup run.
Chicago’s decision for the eighth and final defenseman spot for this season reportedly came down to Stanton and Mike Kostka, the latter of whom spent last year with Toronto before signing with the ‘Hawks during the offseason.
Kostka won that position battle, forcing Chicago to put Stanton on waivers.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)