Oct 2, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Thursday’s Los Angeles-Minnesota season opener is the first time Dustin Brown will face the Wild since elbowing Jason Pominville last year — an incident that earned Brown a two game suspension and forced Pominville to miss two regular season and three playoff games with a concussion.
The Kings captain knows Minnesota might be looking for retribution.
“It all depends on how it plays out, it could go either way,” Brown told the L.A. Times. “I’m going there to play a game. If that’s part of it, that’s part of it.”
Wild forward Zenon Konopka said the hit still lingers.
“You have it in the back of your head. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t remember, but nothing’s more important than winning,” he told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “You get a chance to legally hit [Brown] clean, you’re going to throw that hit.”
Here’s the video of said elbow:
There was no penalty on the play, but the Wild were none too pleased with Brown following the contest.
What’s more, head coach Mike Yeo was further displeased following the club’s final preseason game, a loss to St. Louis in which Blues captain David Backes took a run at Pominville — with no response from Minnesota.
Yeo said he wants a “pack of wolves” mentality from his club when it comes to sticking up for each other.
“As long as the game’s existed, protecting each other and battling for each other is part of the game,” he explained.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)