Oct 2, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Thursday’s Los Angeles-Minnesota season opener is the first time Dustin Brown will face the Wild since elbowing Jason Pominville last year — an incident that earned Brown a two game suspension and forced Pominville to miss two regular season and three playoff games with a concussion.
The Kings captain knows Minnesota might be looking for retribution.
“It all depends on how it plays out, it could go either way,” Brown told the L.A. Times. “I’m going there to play a game. If that’s part of it, that’s part of it.”
Wild forward Zenon Konopka said the hit still lingers.
“You have it in the back of your head. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t remember, but nothing’s more important than winning,” he told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “You get a chance to legally hit [Brown] clean, you’re going to throw that hit.”
Here’s the video of said elbow:
There was no penalty on the play, but the Wild were none too pleased with Brown following the contest.
What’s more, head coach Mike Yeo was further displeased following the club’s final preseason game, a loss to St. Louis in which Blues captain David Backes took a run at Pominville — with no response from Minnesota.
Yeo said he wants a “pack of wolves” mentality from his club when it comes to sticking up for each other.
“As long as the game’s existed, protecting each other and battling for each other is part of the game,” he explained.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 46
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 123
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 80
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7