Oct 2, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Thursday’s Los Angeles-Minnesota season opener is the first time Dustin Brown will face the Wild since elbowing Jason Pominville last year — an incident that earned Brown a two game suspension and forced Pominville to miss two regular season and three playoff games with a concussion.
The Kings captain knows Minnesota might be looking for retribution.
“It all depends on how it plays out, it could go either way,” Brown told the L.A. Times. “I’m going there to play a game. If that’s part of it, that’s part of it.”
Wild forward Zenon Konopka said the hit still lingers.
“You have it in the back of your head. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t remember, but nothing’s more important than winning,” he told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “You get a chance to legally hit [Brown] clean, you’re going to throw that hit.”
Here’s the video of said elbow:
There was no penalty on the play, but the Wild were none too pleased with Brown following the contest.
What’s more, head coach Mike Yeo was further displeased following the club’s final preseason game, a loss to St. Louis in which Blues captain David Backes took a run at Pominville — with no response from Minnesota.
Yeo said he wants a “pack of wolves” mentality from his club when it comes to sticking up for each other.
“As long as the game’s existed, protecting each other and battling for each other is part of the game,” he explained.
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 0
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 26
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 28
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)