Oct 2, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Thursday’s Los Angeles-Minnesota season opener is the first time Dustin Brown will face the Wild since elbowing Jason Pominville last year — an incident that earned Brown a two game suspension and forced Pominville to miss two regular season and three playoff games with a concussion.
The Kings captain knows Minnesota might be looking for retribution.
“It all depends on how it plays out, it could go either way,” Brown told the L.A. Times. “I’m going there to play a game. If that’s part of it, that’s part of it.”
Wild forward Zenon Konopka said the hit still lingers.
“You have it in the back of your head. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t remember, but nothing’s more important than winning,” he told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “You get a chance to legally hit [Brown] clean, you’re going to throw that hit.”
Here’s the video of said elbow:
There was no penalty on the play, but the Wild were none too pleased with Brown following the contest.
What’s more, head coach Mike Yeo was further displeased following the club’s final preseason game, a loss to St. Louis in which Blues captain David Backes took a run at Pominville — with no response from Minnesota.
Yeo said he wants a “pack of wolves” mentality from his club when it comes to sticking up for each other.
“As long as the game’s existed, protecting each other and battling for each other is part of the game,” he explained.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 12
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 56
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (56)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)