Apr 24, 2013, 4:03 PM EST
Kings captain Dustin Brown has been suspended two games for elbowing and injuring Minnesota forward Jason Pominville on Tuesday at the Xcel Energy Center.
Here’s the video explanation from the NHL, which ruled Brown was in full control of the play and that “it was not an inadvertent elbow caused by Pominville’s sudden movement.”
Brown will sit out the last two games of the Kings’ regular season — including tonight’s in Detroit — but will be available for the playoffs.
Even though he’ll be back for the first game of the postseason (and will get a nice rest before the real grind starts), Los Angeles will still miss Brown while he’s out. The Kings currently occupy the No. 4 seed in the Western Conference, which would give them home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs. However, San Jose and St. Louis would still love to snag that spot for themselves.
The Sharks and Kings play Saturday in L.A.
Brown has 18 goals and 11 assists in 46 games.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)