Apr 24, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
Kings captain Dustin Brown has been suspended two games for elbowing and injuring Minnesota forward Jason Pominville on Tuesday at the Xcel Energy Center.
Here’s the video explanation from the NHL, which ruled Brown was in full control of the play and that “it was not an inadvertent elbow caused by Pominville’s sudden movement.”
Brown will sit out the last two games of the Kings’ regular season — including tonight’s in Detroit — but will be available for the playoffs.
Even though he’ll be back for the first game of the postseason (and will get a nice rest before the real grind starts), Los Angeles will still miss Brown while he’s out. The Kings currently occupy the No. 4 seed in the Western Conference, which would give them home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs. However, San Jose and St. Louis would still love to snag that spot for themselves.
The Sharks and Kings play Saturday in L.A.
Brown has 18 goals and 11 assists in 46 games.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)