Oct 1, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
In accordance with what New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault already said, captain Ryan Callahan backed up predictions that he won’t play in the team’s season opener against the Phoenix Coyotes Thursday, ESPN reports.
“I think Thursday’s a no-go,” Callahan said.
It’s unclear if Callahan, 28, will play in the Rangers’ second game (a road game against the Los Angeles Kings on Monday, Oct. 7).
There was some concern that the winger went back to wearing a yellow non-contact jersey on Tuesday, but Callahan insisted that he went “full contact.” Here’s a little more on that from ESPN, anyway:
Though Callahan knew when he saw the sweater in his dressing room stall that it would invite some questions, he explained that it was done so he and fellow injured player Carl Hagelin could practice together without confusion. Vigneault also said that the change held no special significance.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)