Oct 1, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
In accordance with what New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault already said, captain Ryan Callahan backed up predictions that he won’t play in the team’s season opener against the Phoenix Coyotes Thursday, ESPN reports.
“I think Thursday’s a no-go,” Callahan said.
It’s unclear if Callahan, 28, will play in the Rangers’ second game (a road game against the Los Angeles Kings on Monday, Oct. 7).
There was some concern that the winger went back to wearing a yellow non-contact jersey on Tuesday, but Callahan insisted that he went “full contact.” Here’s a little more on that from ESPN, anyway:
Though Callahan knew when he saw the sweater in his dressing room stall that it would invite some questions, he explained that it was done so he and fellow injured player Carl Hagelin could practice together without confusion. Vigneault also said that the change held no special significance.
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)