Sep 27, 2013, 1:18 AM EDT
The New York Rangers will play their first nine regular season games on the road with a new head coach in Alain Vigneault, which is the kind of situation that makes fans clamor for captain Ryan Callahan. He won’t be able to play in at least that first contest on Oct. 3, though.
The team announced that Callahan, 28, has been cleared for contact yet will not play against the Phoenix Coyotes in that season-opener next Thursday.
The do-everything winger is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. Vigneault likely recalls the downside of rushing a player back from a shoulder injury – Ryan Kesler went through some serious growing pains in that regard in Vancouver – so it’s likely wise that the Rangers seem like they’re proceeding with caution here.
Callahan probably wants to get on the ice as soon as possible, though. Not only does his team need his help, but he’s entering a contract year at age 28, meaning he’s likely in line for a significant raise (either from the Rangers or someone else).
The Rangers and Callahan aren’t immediately getting their way regarding his rehab, yet this is still a promising step in the right direction as a huge season approaches.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)