Sep 27, 2013, 1:18 AM EST
The New York Rangers will play their first nine regular season games on the road with a new head coach in Alain Vigneault, which is the kind of situation that makes fans clamor for captain Ryan Callahan. He won’t be able to play in at least that first contest on Oct. 3, though.
The team announced that Callahan, 28, has been cleared for contact yet will not play against the Phoenix Coyotes in that season-opener next Thursday.
The do-everything winger is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. Vigneault likely recalls the downside of rushing a player back from a shoulder injury – Ryan Kesler went through some serious growing pains in that regard in Vancouver – so it’s likely wise that the Rangers seem like they’re proceeding with caution here.
Callahan probably wants to get on the ice as soon as possible, though. Not only does his team need his help, but he’s entering a contract year at age 28, meaning he’s likely in line for a significant raise (either from the Rangers or someone else).
The Rangers and Callahan aren’t immediately getting their way regarding his rehab, yet this is still a promising step in the right direction as a huge season approaches.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)